SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gmreeves

New Bin, How much food for an OSCR,jr

gmreeves
14 years ago

I am new to worm composting and very OCD. I think from reading the earlier posts that I should fit right in.

I built an OSCR,jr last night and am getting ready to put in the bedding, food, and worms. I see there is a difference in opinion on what one should use for starting bedding, when to add food, how much food, what womrs, etc. I was planning on using newspaper, shredded paper and pieces of cardboard boxes. As far as the worms are concerned, I am a member of a community garden where they have three worm bins. They are not slam full of worms but they said I could take some to start my bin. Assuming I take a few handfuls of worms and some of there partially broken down compost, how much food should I start off with? The reason I ask is I filled a pretty large tupperware with celery tops, carrot pieces, lettuce, cucumbers, and tomato scraps. I beleive this is more than I need and would initially cause problems. Do I only need to put in a handful of scraps to start out? Can I use all that I have and just monitor the condition of the bin? Should I freeze the unused scraps and use them later as the worms begin to multiply and eat more?

I know it is a lot of questions but figured this would be the place to ask.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals