SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vermicomposterchild

Newbie Question: How much food, how often?

Hello, I'm a total newbie on this forum (just registered today) and I've been the proud caretaker of worms for seven whole days now. (Cue "Happy Earthday")

I was really excited to get a worm bin started...I mean REALLY EXCITED. So I got on freecycle to see if I could find someone locally who would give me a starter set. After I had waited on pins and needles for a whole six hours for a response to my post...I couldn't stand it anymore and ordered two pounds from a farm in Yelm, Washington...the closest farm I could find to my home state. Then, of course, an hour later, freecycle came through with a cottage cheese container full of starter worms free for the taking the following morning.

The woman said they were "red wigglers" but couldn't confirm that they were "eisenia foetida" because she didn't know the latin name...so I got all spooked about a rogue worm species...so I decided I'd better keep them separate and suddenly found myself with two bins. I filled the first bin with wet, wrung-out strips of newsprint that I fluffed up, plus dried brown leaves from our filbert tree that I crunched up with my hands, soaked in water, and then wrung out as best I could. I also dumped in a handful or two of some hot pink camelia petals that were falling all over the ground, because I thought it might gussy up the bin a bit. The second bin is just newspaper (stripped, soaked, wrung out) - the worms arrived while I was on my way back from the store with their bin, and it was raining, so they just got newspapers.

I got soooo excited about them that I bought a kitchen scale so that I could make sure I gave them just the right amount of food, and I'd read that they could eat half their body weight per day....It was only later that I realized the freecycle starters had an unknown weight, so I figured I'd follow something I'd read on this forum about waiting until they were well-into the first batch of food before adding more.

My husband thinks I'm a nut already...I have been saving our eggshells, drying them in the oven, and then grinding them to a powder in the old coffee grinder we use for spices. I've been choosing the best kitchen scraps and chopping them up and tossing them and weighing them and such. I've tried to put in stuff that was already starting to rot, mixed in with fresher stuff. So last night I found myself getting out the cutting board and knife to carefully chop up and then weigh a moldy pineapple. (Yikes! Did I really do that?!)

Today I read this forum post and saw the warning about oatmeal, and so rushed out to the front porch in my bathrobe in the dark to try and fish out the cooked oatmeal I put in there the day before yesterday. I gotta admit, it's not a scene I ever thought I'd find myself in the middle of. So I fished out what little was left of the oatmeal, and carefully separated out all the worms that were in it, and checked them all for signs of the thinning patches...I saw one with one thinning patch. But the rest all looked robust and red and were very active and were mixed all throughout the kitchen scraps that were in there, so I'm hoping I haven't harmed them.

We're a family of four and I cook 99% of our meals from scratch, and we have a big garden with lots of fruit trees, so we generate a lot of "worm food." My biggest worry is that I will overfeed them in my enthusiasm, so I'm trying to use the scale religiously until I get a better feel for this, and just compost the rest.

Can you tell that I'm excited?!

So I have a question: If the worms can eat half their body weight per day, do you all feed them once a week, or every day, or what? How do you all gauge how much to feed them, and how often? How will I know that they're multiplying and need more food than I'm currently giving them?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor