SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
recluse_gw

mild Mold Allergy...worm food to avoid?

recluse
17 years ago

Against my better judgement, I've created an indoor bin. The issue for me is that I have mild allergies to mold.

Some background: I have 4 outdoor worm bins. I know that in order to maximize reproduction and engender a good work ethic amongst the worms, I must leave them in peace as much as possible. So, I limit exploration in these bins.

But, I want to watch the worms grow up, see how much they are eating every day or two, check on the nurseries, etc...in short, I want to be an (over)involved parent.

So, I created an indoor bin containing approx. 60 worms. These (un)fortunate worms will simply have to adjust to the hands-on(in) approach.

Now, back to the question. I'm thinking I may be able to limit mold/fungus by only feeding this bin foods that don't grow as much mold as others might. It's obvious that I'm not strongly educated in this area (for all I know, there may be no difference in mold growth on different types of decaying OM?), but my observations indicate that certain foods produce vast amounts of mold/fungus while others don't seem to have much at all.

For example, foods that I've noticed little mold on are:

raw veggies

aged horse manure

some fruits (little on watermelon and bananas, more on peaches and grapes)

coffee grounds

These foods seem to grow more mold and I will avoid them in this bin:

bread

grains

cooked food

Am I on the right track here? Any suggestions for foods to avoid or include?

Comments (2)