SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhrdls

So they like melons...

nhrdls
9 years ago

This forum has been amazing help. There are lot of knowledgeable people on this forum who are ready to share experience and wisdom. A big thank you for the support to newbies like me.

Many of you are experienced in maintaining bin, so you have already gone through similar moments. Please allow me to indulge in my small discoveries and interesting moments..

I remember reading a statement from equinoxequinox don't feed melon rinds to worms, it will only encourage them.

Day before yesterday, I fed my worms water melon rinds. And I saw activity in the bin only once - last time I fed a single cut of rind. It was amazing to see, felt almost like worms could sense the melon rinds and were looking for it all over the bin or after getting a bellyful, they were looking for other activities.

Lot of them ventured little bit outside, poked their heads outside of bin. But none decided that outside of the bin was more inviting. At least no dead worms anywhere outside. By morning, everyone was inside in their preferred places. My bin does not tight fitting lid. And even if it was fitted completely, it has two open gaps that serve as handles. I usually keep it ajar with half inch gap and bedding is covered with multiple full sheets of newspapers.

I even found few (around 30) baby worms. Though I have never found a cocoon in the bin. I understand that these can be pot worms or other species that can coexist, but to me they looked exactly like worms. Red in colour and their movement was wormish - the way they burrow or move around felt very similar to movement of red worms I normally see. But then again, I have never seen any other kind of worm so closely to detect movement patterns.

Few questions for experienced people -

What will be the best place to look for cocoons?
I understand pot worm are white and the small worm creatures I saw were red. What are the chances of these being actual worms?
When you open the lid of your bin, do you normally see lot of activity on top surface? I see many pictures or worms, but never seen that many worms coming on bedding top - unless they were encouraged

Comments (19)