SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sprky_gw

too much amendments?

sprky
12 years ago

Long time lurker first time poster. This will be a fairly long post as I want you to have all the info past and present so please bear with me.

I have a plot of ground approx 12 x 30 im going to put into a garden. I planted in this last year. I added around 10 bags of back to nature acidified cotton burr compost, several broken bags of manure, top soil, and potting soil, I dont remember the exact amounts,20# gypsum, and the fertilizer the garden center gave me. This was all tilled in to a depth of around 6". The garden center said this should be all I needed to get a good garden going. In each hole before I planted I put 1 cup 1/2 strength Miracle-Gro for tomatoes, 1 tablespoon Epson salts, 1 tablespoon powdered milk. Filled hole around plant and watered in with nother cup of 1/2 strength Miracle-Gro. My tomatoes and peppers didn't do all that well. For awhile I had alot of BER and after that all I got was small peppers and tomatoes.

After the season was over i cleared the garden added all my grass clippings I had save and put in all the mowed up leaves from 3 yards, and 20# gypsum, watered it down good and left it be. Over the winter I added all the coffee grounds and tea bags as well as all the kitchen scraps on top of all this.

I have been buying amendments all winter and stock piling them for use this year. I currently have 16 bags of 2 CF cotton burr compost, 16 bags of 40# composted manure, 16 bags of 40# Mushroom compost, 8 bags of 2 CF Miracle-Gro garden soil, 8 bags of 2 CF Miracle-Gro enriched Sphagnum Peat Moss. Which I am planing on putting into the garden and tilling to a depth of around 6".

In each of the holes this year I am planing on putting 1 cup of 1/2 strength Miracle-Gro, 1 tablespoon Epson salts, 1 tablespoon blood meal, 1 tablespoon bone meal, and 1 tablespoon tomato tone, and use a root stimulator. And then water them in with nother cup of 1/2 strength Miracle-Gro.

My question I guess is 2 fold. Is this too much to add to the garden, and does my plan for the holes sound like a good one.

Please let me know what ya think. I am also open to other suggestions on what i should do.

Comments (13)