SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smallusgardenus

Soil Test: Too Much Phosph, Zero Nitrogen (too much compost?)

smallusgardenus
12 years ago

Hello all,

I bought a little DIY soil test kit after having problems with one of my vegetable gardens. This one particular garden I tried to grow tomatoes, green beans, okra, and cucumbers. Cucumbers did well but everything else was stunted with gnarled leaves. The prior year this garden did awesome with peas, tomatoes, & okra.

The test results showed extremely high Phosphorous and non-existent nitrogen. Ph showed to be "Acceptable" and potash was "sufficient".

We raise rabbits and I compost all the rabbit manure and hay that falls through the cages. Then till it into the gardens. This particular garden is where I put the compost bins during the winter so needless to say it usually gets more compost than the other gardens. I'm wondering if maybe it received too much compost which I believe, from what I've read, would result in excessive phosphorous. I'm not sure why the nitrogen would show up as depleted? Maybe something is binding with the nitrogen making it unusable?

I would love to get this garden remedied for next year but am unsure how to approach this. Any help would be appreciated!

Comments (3)