SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
11otis

'easy harvest' flow-through???

11otis
15 years ago

Just my thoughts about method of harvest.

WOULD IT WORK IF: the rods go through the bin only at the back. At the front, where the opening is, instead of going through the wall of the drum/bin, they are held together by putting through a piece of metal or heavy duty piece of PVC. This end of the rod should barely touch the wall. Then tie several rods (I think 2 rods will suffice) with nylon rope, put them (the rope) together, make a knot there and run through a small PVC pipe (you know, the ones they used to run electr. cable through the garden etc.), up to the top of the barrel/drum/bin. Make the knot to sort of block the bottom of this small PVC pipe to minimize dirt or worms(?) getting in. Attach the end of the rope to something at the top or maybe the handle of the bin. PVC pipe to be long enough to reach close to the top of drum. When the time comes to harvest, release the rope which will lower the grating/rods pressed by the weight of the VC and ..... P R E S T O ...... !!!, compost at your finger tips, so to speak.

If the VC won't come down, use a broom handle from the top to help.

My question to you engineers(?) out there, will the rods at the back break the wall when the front is lowered? Would it help much to have the rods run perpendicular to the bottom "door". (having the compost fall right at the door seems sooooo convenient.) Is there some kind of metal hardware to protect the edges of these holes so they won't rip?

The backend of the rods need some kind of a stop so the entire contraption won't come sliding out and end up inside the bin when 1 side is lowered. How many inches should they stick out from the wall? We will have a problem if the bin tapers a lot at the bottom, won't we? Or would the back side of the rods just move out?

Any comments, please let's hear/read them all.

PS. I've got 2 "hand-me-down" garbage bins on wheels and am holding off drilling the holes/cutting the door until I am confident I can build an "easy harvest" bin.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!