SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anitasplace

Flow Through Bin

anitasplace
10 years ago

Hello! I`ve been spending the few blessed moments of free time I`ve have the last few weeks reading the last 67 pages of the Vermicomposting Forum learning and re learning everything I can about...well...vermicomposting. Although I am not new to VC, or to the forum for that matter, it was a wonderful read and I feel as though I know some of you after reading the things you write.

The reason for all my back reading and reading is that I`m wanting to step things up. I`ve had worms for 13 or 14 years off and on. Mostly on. When I got my squirm, oh so many years ago, I kept them in a rubber maid bin. They multiplied and multiplied to the point is was almost scary to go into the bin. My cats would stare at the bin, waiting, wondering.

Then I moved and they got ignored. Finally I gave them to a VC friend to take care of until I could give them the, even minimal, care they needed. When that time came, she dug in the bin and gave me 35 worms. Not what I was expecting! BUT my tiny little squirm grew and grew (slowly) housed in a mini Flow Through that I had made.

The time finally came when they needed more space and I built them a rubber maid tower system. Lots of expectations and hopes for the garden and recycling. Before I even got the second `tray` on, I was pregnant (again) and sick. I couldn't do both. So...off to a different friends house they went!

She took wonderful care of them! They multiplied and grew! And then the rains came! And flooded her basement with all that floods bring with them. The worms were not her top priority. She put them outside where they got flooded again. Then to the basement again only to be directly under the water pipe that broke and were flooded again. Poor worms.

Well, after all the adventuring, I have them back. They stayed in the rubber maid (trying to grow their numbers) until New Years Eve when I put them into their new home. A VB24 that I built during the month of December.

When dumping my squirm, I noticed that there were NO cocoons. None. I figure they had outgrown their home or don`t reproduce when there is too much of their own poop in with them. (I haven`t harvested for 6 months or so.) Also, none of the worms had a clitellum. Again, no reproduction. No clitellum, no cocoons. Amazing deduction skills, I know.

So now I wait. And wait. They are very happy! The other day I even saw a worm WITH a clitellum! It will take a while but soon my bin will be full of worm and that would be about half the worms I want. lol

Anita

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH