SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bostonguynomore

Escaping worms

15 years ago

So, this is my third attempt at trying vermicomposting in a wooden bin with three stacked trays.

My bin had been doing fine for almost two months, till I added a yogurt container-full of rotting vegetables on one side. The worms seemed to be doing fine when I checked a day after I added the food and had migrated to the new food, and I didn't check the bin for a couple of days, till I found about 15 worms on the floor - dried up and dead :( - that had escaped from the bin. The few worms that were in the food I'd added were sluggish and I moved them over to the other side. Luckily, there are still some worms in the bin.

There wasn't any mite infestation, though there are some mites in the bin.

So, it seems like the worms didn't like the food, as rest all conditions (ventilation, moisture) seem fine, and I'm trying to trouble-shoot.

The yogurt container I use (32 oz) has holes drilled on the sides and I do keep the lid on. When I emptied the food in the bin (it had been sitting in the container for at least 2-3 weeks, probably more, outside on the window sill, i.e., not in the freezer/fridge) and had some white fungus/web-like stuff growing at the top, I did notice that the stuff at the bottom of the container was very smelly (anaerobic?). Could that be a reason why the worms didn't like it? It wasn't any different food than what I'd fed them in the past.

I'm going to get rid of the food I added, and try adding some "fresh" food, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or tips to prevent this from happening in future. Probably, I should've frozen the container and then thawed it out before adding the food to the bin.

Thanks.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz