SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dontodd

Matted bedding, escaping worms-help with newish bin

dontodd
16 years ago

I've have a homemade indoor bin for about six weeks. I'm using newspaper strips for bedding. Things seemed to be going OK to start, then I think I overfed; I removed excess food and tried to let worms adjust.

I checked them last week and they didn't seem to be eating as much as I thought they should (I've since learned to adjust my expectations), so I started poking around and noticed that the bedding was really matted and blocking the drainage holes on the bottom. I attempted to stir it up a bit to get some aeration going on, as I was also concerned they might not be getting enough air.

Now, worms seem to be unhappy and some are trying to escape. I understand this is a symptom of them not being happy with their environment. The only thing I can think of as problems are possibly not enough air (somewhat heavy condensation on the inside of the lid--is that normal? will drill more holes), too wet (added dry newspaper strips on top to absorb additional moisture), too much citrus in the food (made margaritas recently ;)), or too crowded (~2# in 6 gallon Rubbermaid bin).

Overall, however, the bin seems OK--it has a nice earthy smell, and other than a few rebels that are escaping, most seem OK.

I guess my questions are:

Should I be concerned about the matted bedding?

The worms aren't really coming up to get the food as I expected they would (I bury it some but not all the way). Am I just expecting them to eat too much too fast?

I can do pictures/video if it would help to see what's going on.

Thanks much for any pointers!

Comments (5)