SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisam627_ohio_z6

NEW: new!!! fabulous favorites round robin

lisam627_ohio_z6
18 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have been blessed with lots of seeds this year from my gardens plus I have accumulated many more seeds in trades than I can ever use in a lifetime. I have over 200 packs of seeds that I can start a lovely Round Robin with, and wondered if this idea would generate any interest?

This Robin would be for any kind of seeds: (commercial or collected) flowers, veggies, herbs, trees/shrubs, ornamental grass. I have put together some rules/details below:

1. First and foremost, ONLY honest and committed gardeners may participate. Please don't spoil the fun for everyone and join if you CANNOT abide by the rules!

2. Everyone will mail the box by Priority Mail and with a Delivery Confirmation Number to be posted on GardenWeb. This makes it easy for all of us to keep track of the box's location.

3. The box must be kept moving and should leave yours hands within 1-2 days from its receipt.

4. For every pack of seeds you take out, you add a pack of your own. Its OK to take a few seeds out of an existing pack in the Robin and leave some for other gardeners.

5. Add your donation to the box, whatever you like, in any quantity you like, but letÂs try to leave out the Marigolds and WHITE daisies (colored daisies are OK) and put some REALLY INTERESTING and/or DIFFERENT seeds in.

6. Please, pleaseÂdo your best to ensure your donated seeds are free from insects. My seeds are kept in the freezer  not too much can survive in there!

7. Preferably add 2005 seeds; but DO NOT add seeds that are from 2003 or older. 2004 seeds are OK if you have stored them properly.

8. Now a small twist here about the favorites part. Everyone must add at least one pack of their "FAVORITE" seed and post why you added this particular seed whether it be color, size, taste, fragrance or hardiness, etc.

9. Also, add just a few of your FAVORITE seeds to an envelope for the hostess (me lol) and I will in turn have a special envelope prepared for EACH participant in the box with my "FAVS" as well. (I will also be looking at your wants list!) Sound fair???

If there is any interest out there, please post here and also email me your GardenWeb name, full name, address AND phone number (I will not give this out to anyone!). I want to get at least 10-15 dedicated participants for this box maximum so itÂs not going on for months; but if there is a lot more interest, I will make TWO boxes and coordinate a mailing list based on where you live. The sign up deadline for this Robin is midnight, September 1. It will fly on September 6 (the day after Labor Day)! Now let the fun begin! Anyone game?

Comments (60)

• scouttiegirl
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would love to join. What a great robin idea. Please send me the info, I have lots of fresh seeds I just harvested. ~Heather

• snshndydrm
    18 years ago

This one sounds like fun! Count me in.

~Mary Ellen~

• Related Discussions

new: mnf: after dark round robin!

Q

Comments (150)
    A Navajo Star Myth Coyote According tho the Navajo mythology, the Milky Way was created by the misbehavior of the mischievous deity, Coyote. When the world was created, the Holy People gathered around Black God to place the stars in the sky according to a rational order related to the seasons. But Coyote grew annoyed by the slowness of the creation process. He first chose with anger a red star, called Ma'iio, that he placed in the south to symbolize himself. Ma'iio is a name often given to Coyote, which means 'the one who roams'. This star, of which we do not know the precise identification, appears for only a short period of time during the year, and it is said to announce trouble. Thereafter, Coyote took the bag full of stars not yet placed and threw it over his head forming the Milky Way. Since the stars of the Milky Way could not be properly placed, they could not be named. Coyote was a trickster, and would often use this to get what he wanted. In one story, Coyote turned a hero into a coyote, and in turn became the man. He went to the hero's home and slept with his wife. Coyote smelled very bad. When the wife visited her mother, she smelled the Coyote on the wife. They then knew that Coyote had tricked them. In yet another story, Coyote falls in love with a beautiful woman. In order to marry her, he had to kill the giant, Gray Big Ye'i. Afterwards, the woman attempts to kill Coyote four times, but each time he hides his vital organs so he could come back to life. The woman eventually marries him. Later we find that coyote is killed while hunting with the wife's brothers. Coyote's wife turns into a bear and kills all but one of the brothers. The last brother kills her, and brings his brothers back to life. This story explains why bears are often considered the female counterparts of coyotes. Kathy
    ...See More

NEW: New Round Robin May birthdays zone 3-4

Q

Comments (1)
    Maybe you would get more players if you made it so we only have to send 1 package.
    ...See More

NEW: Next New Round Robin

Q

Comments (7)
    i am hosting a swap - one time swap - you'll be partnered with another player -- it's called CHRISTMAS IN JULY. it's posted in this forum. come play - sign ups until the 30th - rules posted in first note. any additional questions, feel free to email.
    ...See More

NEW: Hoya Round Robin

Q

Comments (16)
    I would love to join, however I only have Obovata, Kerrii, Compacta, Caudata, and something called "splash". These are the more popular ones I think and may not be desirable for trade :( My plants can be seen at the following link which is recent and under the Hoyas Header, 'what am I doing wrong?' topic. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hoya/msg082104484108.html?4 If I might be able to contribute please let me know, I would love to get my hands on some new hoyas. I have about all that is offered locally. Thank you for your time. -Thirston p.s. I'm not too familiar with RoundRobbin trades. Will this be a box of cuttings that is passed from one person to the next in a preset order? We each take out x amount of cuttings and replace with x amount of our own?
    ...See More
  • bogartbaby
    18 years ago

Count me in please, I am sending you an e-mail. Thanks

• Araillia
    18 years ago

I want to join too. I"m sending you an email.
    Thanks
    Ara

• pastvast
    18 years ago

I would also like to join and am sending you an email.

-Stephanie

• GardenHits
    18 years ago

Please add me in also.

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi everyone...looks like we have a lot of interest here! If we get 4 more people to sign up, I'll make two groups of ten. Please read the rules before signing up (i.e. you must be able to commit to getting the Robin out within 48 hours after its receipt, etc.). It's important for everyone to keep this box moving! Enough said...4 more and we'll start having some fun and close this Robin! - Lisa

• jcpyburn
    18 years ago

Hi, Lisa I think that this sounds really fun and would love to be in on this! I am emailing you my info,
    Thanks

Carly

• nance
    18 years ago

Please add my name to the list. You got email.

• Marisha
    18 years ago

Yes! Yes! Sounds like fun! Count me in!
    Mary

• Melinda Hagen
    18 years ago

I would also like to join! PLease send details. Thanks,MElinda

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Great! we have the additional 4 players now, so I will close this Robin. I will post the order of mailing after I get this all sorted out. If anyone has any concerns, questions or requests, please let me know before I mail on the 6th. Thanks everyone for participating...I think this will be fun for all. - Lisa

• myohhmy
    18 years ago

Would love to be included. Sent you mail. thanks for putting this together!

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK everyone...just an update here. This Robin is preparing to fly and I will be posting the mailing order soon for both of the boxes. But first I need an email response from 4 members:
    PassiFlora2004
    MimiB
    Bogartbaby
    DJM906

After I hear from these girls, you all will hear from me! : )

Lisa

• snshndydrm
    18 years ago

I do have a request. If at all possible can you put me near the end of the lista? The arena I work at in NC is hosting some of the evacuees from Katrina and I will be putting in some heavy hours for the next few weeks. I am the catering manager and we will be serving breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday until the Red Cross can find permanent housing for folks plus providing snacks and beverages all day long. I do want to participate but a few weeks or at least a few days down the road will work better for me. Many thanks!

~mary ellen~

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mary Ellen...this is no problem! I'll put you towards the end..and you have my phone number and email address in the event something happens. Please watch this site as the box gets nearer to you! Good luck!

I am still waiting to hear from 4 members - could be that 2 are hurricane victims (LA & TN)...two may be out of town. Just to keep you all posted! Thanks - Lisa

• djm906
    18 years ago

The missing number on the telephone is 1 at the end. Add east if you like in front of address. We do not use it and it is not on our street sign. Years ago when uncorporated they used east, sometimes we still get mail with it that way. Getting excited. I did email you earlier but thought maybe this is faster! Doris

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi everyoneI hope you all had a safe and happy holiday weekend. Ive put the mailing order together for two groups the BLUE GROUP and the GREEN GROUP. I have emailed you all with the full names and addresses, please check my typing for any mistakes and let me know if the mailing order is OK with you.

B L U E G R O U P

MELLEN
    HUMMINGBIRDDAISY
    DJM906
    SHIMLA
    SCOUTTIEGIRL
    SKOHLER
    MYOHHMY
    EFROSTY1
    PASTVAST
    MARISHA2
    LISAM627

G R E E N G R O U P

SGUANZON
    GARDENHITS
    JCPYBURN
    ARAILLIA
    ILOVEFARAC
    MARGEC
    NANCE
    BOGARTBABY
    SNSHNDYDRM
    LISAM627

As soon as I hear back from everyone, I will get this box in the mail and Im shooting for Tuesday or Wednesday. Let the fun begin!- Lisa

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ROBINS HAVE FLOWN!

They are now on their way to their first stop:

GREEN GROUP: Sguanzon - Delivery Confirmation No. - 0303 0130 0002 6682 0590.
    Just a note regarding the Green Group GardenHits had an emergency situation and needed to drop out so there is a revised Mailing Order List in the box. Well miss you GardenHits!!!
    BLUE GROUP: Mellen - Delivery Confirmation No. 0303 0130 0002 6682 0798.

The Good Part: Seeds Galore!!!!! Ive been seeing them in my sleepthey were all over my spare bedroom flooruntil I got them sorted for you all.and I am so happy to have these boxes mailed! Each box sports 200 packs of seeds - if I counted correctly : ) and an envelope with goodies from me for each participant!

The Bad Part: We are all mature adults here and I believe we all understand the rules here. I feel bad that I must say what I need to say next. There has been a lot of boxes turn up missing on the Round Robin Exchange site of late. I dont know what to contribute this tobut, if anyone in this Robin has a crisis or personal problem arise quickly in their life and they need to pull out, I have graciously extended my telephone number AND email address to each and every one of you in the event you need to contact me. Please remember there are a lot of people depending on each one of you to do what is necessary to keep this box moving. If someone, God forbids, has the ultimate intention of keeping one of these boxes to themselves and not forwarding on as the rules express, I would consider this theft and I will not hesitate to contact the Postmaster to report potential mail fraud. We all have committed too much time of our lives, growing, collecting, drying, sorting, and storing our seeds for someone to be that totally selfish. I really believe we have a great group here and I dont believe there is anyone in our Robin who would do such a selfish and uncaring thing, but I had to make a statement for the good of all.

The "Not So" Ugly Part: In recognition of our Robins title, Ive enclosed a pack of my "FAVORITE" seeds for each and every one of you. It is a seed I received in a trade last spring Scabiosa Atropurpurea Chile Sauce. The reason it is my favorite is because the color demands attention, it actually accents the other flowers around it and it was amazingly easy to germinate and grow! So therenow lets here from all of you after you have received the box, post your delivery confirmation number and what "FAV" youve included in the Robin and why!

Most of alllets just have fun with this! There has been interest expressed by a few of you that once the boxes are returned to meto send the blue group box to the green group and the green group box to the blue group. If you are interested in staying in for the second exchange, you only need to let me know.

For now, thanks everyone and please dont hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concernsIm one of the most understanding people youve come across and I'm always open to suggestions/ideas! - Lisa

• bogartbaby
    18 years ago

Hi Lisa
    I am interested in staying for the second exchange, please count me in. Thanks

Deanie

• mellen
    18 years ago

Lisa, I'm very excited about being in your robin, and I will be on the look out for the box tomorrow or Friday. I would like to be in the follow-up robin, too. Many thanks for all of your work in this one. Mellen

• Araillia
    18 years ago

Lisa,
    I want to be on the list for the follow-up exchange too. Thank you for all the time and effort you've put into this robin.

Ara

• Marisha
    18 years ago

Hi Lisa
    I'm looking forward to the robin and would like to be included on the list for the follow-up robin. Thanks for everything Lisa : )

Mary

• MargeC
    18 years ago

Hi I want to be in the follow up Robin also. Thanks, Marge

• sguanzon
    18 years ago

I would also like to be in the follow up Robin - can't wait to get the box!

• efrosty1
    18 years ago

me too..erica

• djm906
    18 years ago

Yes, I want to be in the followup also!

• scouttiegirl
    18 years ago

Me too, Me too!

• sguanzon
    18 years ago

I got the GREEN box! I'd just like to say what a wonderfully well thought out robin this is and thank Lisa for starting it off so well.

Also, thank you Lisa for being so thoughtful as to include seeds just for me from my "want" list.

I took just a couple pkts but put in about 30 more. Might want to think about going to a flat rate box as it grows.

It was hard to pick a "favorite" but mine is Dierama AKA "Angels Fishing Rod" -- it's not a desert plant more like a woodland one - does well in Northern Arizona. It's graceful small white flowers against the dark branch is so pretty.

I'm on my way to the P.O. now and will post conf # when I return

Thanks again!

• mellen
    18 years ago

Hello Lisa and fellow round robiners, the blue box arrived here after lunch. The box was too big to put in our mailbox so it was delivered to our door by the mailman--and we have a large mailbox. I have not opened it yet, but I just wanted you to know that it was here. More about it later! Mellen

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sguanzon...thanks so much for the nice comments regarding the GREEN box! I'm glad you enjoyed the box! Thanks for keeping her moving so quickly...this Robin will be what we all make of it and the sooner we get both boxes home, we can switch the boxes and start again!

Mellen...glad you got the BLUE box! Hope you find something you like!

Thanks to both for keeping us updated...everyone is watching anxiously I'm sure! : )

At anytime someone wants to change the size of the box and/or go to the flat rate box, that's up to them. I used the boxes that were available to me...I started out with a regular Priority Mail box and just couldn't squeeze everything in. So please feel free to repack or use any box that's most suitable for you. Like Sguanzon suggested, the flat rate $7.70 box would probably be the most economical! Mellen...can't wait to here if you found something you like : ) - Lisa

• sguanzon
    18 years ago

Sorry couldn't post the number yesterday - got busy with a birthday party.

Went to jcpyburn conf# 0303 0130 0002 6682 1009

Hopefully delivered Mon-Tues!

• jcpyburn
    18 years ago

Oh yippee!!! I can't wait! I forgot that gardenhits had to drop out so I thought that I still had another person before me! I will post as soon as I receive it! Thanks

Carly

• mellen
    18 years ago

Lisa, What an incredibly organized box. Thanks for such a wonderful variety of seeds, too. Special thanks for the gift of seeds and the extra gift in the envelope, too. GREAT idea!!! I did find about 10 different types of seeds that I liked. I didn't take a whole packet of any of them. I took a little over 1/8 tsp. of each and put them into labeled bags. I do have a number of favorite seeds, but the one that I will be adding is 4 o'clock seeds that I just harvested this evening. It is white with fuschia splothes in it. It is quite tall--probably 40" at least, but the flowers smell like perfume. You can be within 10 feet of the plants in the later afternoon and evening, and it smells absolutely heavenly.

I will be seeing Tina(hummingbirddaisy) tomorrow so I will be giving her the box as she is next on the list. Short flight for this robin--15 miles. lol Again, many thanks for a wonderful robin, Lisa. I look forward to receiving the other robin. Mellen

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks girls!!! You're doing terrific! Looking forward to hearing from JCYPYBURN and HUMMINGBIRDDAISY. Hope you two find lots of seeds you like! - Lisa

• jcpyburn
    18 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am here to report that a great big FAT robin landed on my doorstep today! What an awesome box Lisa!! I have managed to rummage through quickly and I will be going back through it and googling some plants this evening and getting it ready to go out probably tomorrow unless something drastic happens! I will post my favorite seed and how many I put in and took out later this evening!

Carly

• jcpyburn
    18 years ago

Ok everybody I have had a chance to go through the robin and I took out a total of 9 packs and put in 23 plus the ones for Lisa. I couldn't narrow it down to one fabulous favorite so I chose two, one perennial and one annual! :)

My perennial choice is pink seathrift(armeria) I love this plant for the foliage and the flowers, It never wilts even in full West texas sun and blooms from spring to frost. The flowers stay a long time too!

My annual choice is Dahlberg daisy. These are tiny yellow daisy like flowers that have very airy ferny foliage that smells wonderful. They are constantly covered in flowers and stay very compact and are very bright and cheery. They also never wilt and bloom from spring to frost.

These are definitely the two plants that I would never be without!!

The box will be leaving here tomorrow with a confirmation number of 0303 0130 0002 6682 0996 and will be heading to Ara in Texas.

Thanks for the opportunity to participate in your robin and I would love to be in the followup robin as well! Thanks, Lisa for the seeds that you sent me as well!!

Carly

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

Hi Lisa. Mary Ellen visited this afternoon and brought your WONDERFUL seed box. You have done a TERRIFIC job Lisa. Very nice!
    I have not taken anything out yet, but plan to yet tonight. I will post tomorrow what I took and added. Thank you for the gret seeds!!! and the extra gift. How thoughtful and sweet. Bless your heart!

Be well. Blessings, Tina

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks JCYPYBURN and MELLEN for moving the boxes so quickly!
    Everyone is anxious to receive it...we all appreciate it!
    ARAILLA...be on the lookout for the GREEN box, she's flying your way! HUMMINGBIRDDAISY...we're all waiting to hear if you found any goodies in the BLUE box and all about your favorite seed! Glad you girls liked the box. - Lisa

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

Ok, I found quite a few seeds that I liked. I mostly just took a few seeds out of each packet that I liked, which was out of 12 packets. I have added 7 packets of seeds to the box.
    For my favorite seed, I have added Morning Glory "Shiva". I added these because they are so beautiful with their soft white bloom with soft pinkaccents on the bend of the blooms. This was one of my mothers favorite annuals. I hope you enjoy.
    The box is going out tomorrow morning. Will post conf. # then, and who it is going to.

Thank you for such a wonderful RR Lisa.

Blessings, Tina

• Araillia
    18 years ago

I received the green box today. WOW! what a bunch of seeds to choose from!
    Lisa, you have done a wonderful job of putting this robin together. Thank you dear for including some of the seeds I from my wants list.

I went through the box and took a small amount of seeds from some of the packs and left the rest in the packs to pass along to others. I added twelve packs to the box.

My favorite is red zinnias.
    When I was a little girl my mom prepared a flower bed for me and gave me a hand full of seeds to plant in it. She helped me plant those seeds and taught me how to keep the weeds pulled out and coached me on when to water them. I will never forget the day my flowers finally bloomed. It was amazing to me that I had acomplished that bed full of beautiful red blooms from a hand full of seeds and a little TLC. Those flowers were red zinnias. Now every time I see red zinnias it brings back those memories of Mom's zinnias.

Lisa, thank you for including me in this wonderful robin.

The box will be back in route tomorrow on its way to Melinda in Arkansas.
    Confirmation # 0303 0130 0002 6682 0989

Ara

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow ARAILLIA...what a nice post! I love zinnias too and a red zinnia is a nice addition to any garden. Glad you enjoyed the Robin and thanks so much for the quick turn around with the GREEN box!! Be on the lookout - ILOVEFARAC (GREEN box) and DJM906 (BLUE box). HUMMINGBIRDDAISY will be posting the Delivery Confirmation Number for us soon for the BLUE Box. - Lisa

• hummingbirddaisy
    18 years ago

Ok, when all said and done, I added 9 packets of flowers seeds, and sent it on it's way to Doris in Ill.
    Conf. # 0303 0130 0002 6682 0903

Thanks for a great RR and I look forward to the green box!
    Blessings, Tina

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Tina! I'll make sure you are on the list for the second box. - Lisa

• djm906
    18 years ago

Hi, it arrived yesterday and I didn't find it til this morning. New mailman delivered the mail first and evidently came by later with the box! He could have at least rung the doorbell!!!
    Anyhow I am in the midst going through the box and I plan on mailing it this afternoon. I will post confirmation number when it goes out. It's looking good! :)

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The nerve of that mailman! LOL Glad you found the box...a similar incident happened to me last month in a Robin. The box was supposedly "delivered" to me by our new mail lady; however, it was storming and she didn't want to get out of her truck. In a search full of panic for this box (I had images in my mind of mad gardenweb Robinners after me), I finally ended up at the Post Office...where I was presented with the "missing" box! : ) Hey Doris...have fun going through the seeds! We're all waiting to hear about your favorite! - Lisa

• djm906
    18 years ago

It's on its way to Marie in Schenectady. I found a few things I didn't have. Put in a few more.
    The comfirmation number is: 0303 0130 0002 6682 0811
    Thanks for the extra goodies!

• shimla
    18 years ago

Yeah! Thanks for being a quick-shipper, Doris! It's always such a looong wait when you're next LOL!

Go Blue Team!!!

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Melinda in Arkansas...just wondered if you have received your box yet and found some seeds that you like?
    We'd like to hear all about your favorite seed! Thanks - Lisa

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi everyonefor your convenience and to make the tracking of this Robin simpler for everyone, Ive now separated the posts for this Robin into two Groups:

Fabulous Favorite Green Group:
    SGUANZON - RECEIVED
    JCPYBURN - RECEIVED
    ARAILLIA - RECEIVED
    ILOVEFARAC
    MARGEC
    NANCE
    BOGARTBABY
    SNSHNDYDRM
    LISAM627

and the Fabulous Favorites Blue Group:
    MELLEN - RECEIVED
    HUMMINGBIRDDAISY - RECEIVED
    DJM906 - RECEIVED
    SHIMLA
    SCOUTTIEGIRL
    SKOHLER
    MYOHHMY
    EFROSTY1
    PASTVAST
    MARISHA2
    LISAM627

Please post in accordance to your group - when you receive the Robin AND when you mail the Robin. Dont forgetlet us know what "favorite" seed youve added to the box! Dont be afraid to post your thoughts/feedbackeveryone likes reading them!

Also, if you havent emailed me or posted about being placed in the second mailing, please dont forget to do so if you are interested!!! What would you think if I combined the two boxes upon their return and mailed a single box for the second mailing? My thoughts on this are that what the girls at the top of the lists missed seeing what seeds were added to the box by the girls on the list below them. Just a thoughtthanks for doing a great job so far!

PLEASE DON'T POST HERE AGAIN - THIS THREAD IS COMPLETED.

Thanks! - Lisa