SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
curtludwig

Newbie reading?

curtludwig
17 years ago

Is there a site with some getting started type info on this whole vermicomposting idea?

We layed out our garden last weekend (new house, first garden). The good news is that as we removed the sod (yeah I know, it was lousy sod but the dirt is nice) the dirt was absolutely full of worms. We picked some and put 'em in a strawberry container (the bigger 2 qt type) with some newspaper and moldy strawberry slices. In fact that was so much fun we did 2 strawberry containers. Together the two containers fit nicely into a clementine crate which I lined with plastic just in case I over watered the newspaper. My wife threw in some dirt "to remind the worms how to be worms" :)

Then monday I added some wilted lettuce although there seemed to still be plenty of strawberry.

I poked around a bit and found some worms who seemed happy enough but I'll admit I don't really know what I'm doing.

Yes the worms are nightcrawlers and I know thats not the most desirable. This is really just a super small scale start in the future we'll re-evaluate.

For now the bin is in the basement which is a steady 63 degrees or so.

Comments (11)