SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
russelllandon

from anaerobic to aerobic, safe to feed worms?

russelllandon
13 years ago

I have a question that was touched on another thread here, but not exactly answered. I understand that adding anaerobically decomposing food to a worm bin is a bad idea both because of the smell and the fact that it is inhospitable to the worms. My question is whether there is any good way of preparing my nearly 10 gallons of anaerobically decomposing material (which consists of probably 10% coffee grounds, 5% eggshells, and 70% vegetable scraps from the kitchen, and the rest garden scraps from last year) so that it will be good food for my worms.

I have probably 1500 worms in two bins, and I just harvested compost from them two weeks ago, and have now laid fresh bedding and given the worms a few fresh scraps. But I want to begin to feed them the ten gallons of waste I have outside in part because I live in the city, I can't dump it, and I don't have means of transporting it. The smell, by the way, is atrocious. But most importantly, I want to USE this waste, preferably with my worms, if possible to do safely.

So ... If I were to introduce oxygen to the anaerobically decomposing material for a period of time long enough to allow the odor to dissipate, would it then be good food for my worms?

Thanks,

Russell

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County