SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikeschn

Red Purple stems on tomato seedlings

mikeschn
14 years ago

Last week of March I planted my tomato seeds. They popped right up, but then stopped growing. Looking closely I notice that they have purple stems. I figured it was a soil problem. You know, too much wood in the potting soil.

So I started another batch last weekend, in some pure untouched seed starting mix that I just bought. They popped right up again, but this time I notice right away, that they have purple stems.

In both cases the seed trays are on heating mats 24 hours a day. The first batch used florescent lights which didn't add any heat to the trays. So I fired up my HID plant light for the second batch, which keeps things nice and warm during the day.

I'm really perplexed. It's obviously not the soil. It doesn't look like it's the soil temperature or the light.

Any ideas?

As a test, I applied seed starting fertilizer to one batch of trays, and Ironite to a second batch of trays.

I also started a new pot with 4 seeds today, and I will use just tap water for these. The first and second batch of seeds used rain water out of a rain barrel.

Your thoughts, please.

Here's a picture for you... this is from the first batch.

And this pic is from the second batch, which just popped up this weekend.

Mike...

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022