SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_slocum_gw

Important news about Mary Appelhof

Kelly_Slocum
19 years ago

Yesterday I learned that my dear friend and the mother of home vermicomposting, Mary Appelhof, author of "Worms Eat My Garbage" and "Worms Eat Our Garbage", and publisher of "The Worm Caf Mid-Scale Vermicomposting of Lunch Room Waste" and "Worms, By Gosh!" is suffering from peritoneal cancer. Mary has been a patient at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnnesota for treatment of this very aggressive form of cancer for the last three weeks, but she is not doing well. The cancer began as a uterine tumor that spread to the peritoneum (lining of the abdomen). Surgery to remove the uterine tumor has left her in a weakened state that prevents doctors from beginning chemotherapy treatments vital to effecting some measure of control over this fast-growing disease. They anticipate beginning chemo next week, and will hopefully allow her to go home once it has begun, but MaryÂs prognosis is not good.

Mary has been unable to communicate with people not in her immediate family for the last three weeks, and had just yesterday gotten the message out to me that she is ill. She asked me to let everyone know why she has been absent and unable to respond to phone calls and email.

Those of you whoÂve been fortunate enough to meet this amazing woman know that she is a lively and vital person. In her trademark tie-dye t-shirts and carrying a rubber earthworm in her pocket, she energizes every room she enters, and charms all to whom she speaks. Mary seeks out the thoughtful and creative who work to improve social conditions and advance environmental responsibility, lifting them to her shoulders, supporting their work, and promoting their activities. Many, myself included, owe much of our success to her staunch support. Though she is just 5Â2" many have seen further because they stood on the shoulders of this giant of a human!

Illness is foreign to Mary, and complaining is not in her nature, so this situation has been difficult, but you can bet that she is handling it with her trademark humor and positive attitude. Our beloved Worm Woman can and always does find something good in the worst of situations! The strongest among us, however, in their turn need the help of others. I ask you now for your help in supporting this woman, whom so many of us deeply love. I cannot tell you what it would mean to her for all of you to send her tokens of your support! A simple card; a photograph; a short note expressing your support; these things would delight her beyond words and show her the magnificent community who value and support her and who are sending healing thoughts and prayers her way. I donÂt know what the future holds for Mary, and, more disturbing, how long that future might be, but letÂs donÂt lose this chance to show one beautiful soul the impact she has had in the world. Let her know she has made a difference!

Until approximately May 6th send your cards and tokens to Mary Appelhof at:

Rochester Methodist Hospital

201 West Center St.

Rochester MN 55902

Rm 415

After she is released from the hospital, and I will keep you updated on these details, cards can be mailed to her office at:

Flowerfield Enterprises

10332 Shaver Road

Kalamazoo, MI 49024

MaryÂs illness came without warning and manifested itself so quickly that her staff had no time to prepare. Email and phone calls to MaryÂs office will add heavily to their current work load, so please send your well-wishes via USPS ONLY, and DO NOT call or email Flowerfield Enterprises to inquire after her. Mary, who has been one of my closest friends for many years, has asked me to act as contact for those of you who want updates on her condition, so please feel free to phone me any time at (360) 253-5465 or email me at kelly.slocum@comcast.net and I will pass on all available information. I will also post updates to the various worm fora as news become available.

Thank you all for your prayers and healing thoughts for Mary!

Kelly Slocum ~ (360) 253-5465 ~ kelly.slocum@comcast.net

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor