SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

I miss books! (spin-off of Marie's thread)

mxk3 z5b_MI
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have been thinking about this lately, coincidental Marie posted something along the same lines about how we learned about gardening.

When I was a newbie I pored over gardening books of all sorts, learning about various plants and also studying the pictures - what I liked and didn't like, what I wanted to try to re-create. Also the catalogs - oh how I loved poring over catalogs in the cold winter months, especially while soaking in a hot bath (and still do LOL!). All this was before the web, but even back then when the web was young it was nothing like it is today - not much info on-line, but I did find GW upon the recommendation of a few people on a different chat-board and have been here ever since (and have learned a lot from you all over the years) :0)

Anyway, I've picked up a few of my books lately to research something as opposed to looking up on the web, and what I realized is how much I enjoy the experience of taking a few extra minutes and reading the information I need, and the pictures - the pictures! The pictures in those books evoke some powerful memories for me. It's just not the same on the web for me - at all.

I'm not sure if it's the learning experience I miss so much (to a newbie everything is new and exciting and interesting!) or the sensory experience of older forms of reference materials - or both.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville