SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serobins_gw

Pulp pots and transplant shock?

serobins
9 years ago

I started tomatoes from seed this year for the first time - sungolds and country taste - and it seemed like everything was going okay. I had them in these pulp pots that were sold for transplanting directly into the ground. The plants were about 6" tall and looking pretty good.

Last night I put them out in the garden. I tried to do everything right - I hardened the plants off outside for a week and a half; I transplanted them at 6:00 in the evening; I buried them deeply - up to the first leaves; I put composted manure in each hole; I watered thoroughly after transplanting. The only thing I didn't do was wait for an overcast day, because I have time off work when I have time off work.

Today the tomatoes look like they are circling the drain. They are limp and wilted and lying there on the ground. I assume this means transplant shock? Is there anything I can do to save them?

I was wondering if the pulp pots could be the issue - like maybe the watering didn't penetrate through the pots into the roots? Should I dig them up and take the pots off the roots then replant? The basil I transplanted at the same time in the same plot is going gangbusters, so I'm worried the pots are the issue.

I'm wary of over-watering because we have very heavy clay soil. (Yes, I know it should be amended, but I don't have a lot of money to throw at the garden.)

Any chance my tomatoes will live?

Comments (17)