SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tresring

Transplanted red osier dogwood (Cornus sericea) in shock

tresring
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello, I just had a red osier dogwood planted in a corner of my yard, and after only a 3
days it looks like it's on death's door. My landscaper told me not to worry, and that I shouldn't be surprised if every leaf fell off because it would eventually all grow back.

Okay, well... ummm... I think that's preventable so he is no help to me. I've been reading around, and the suggestion of watering once a week with sugar-water seems like it might possibly help. I don't want to do that, however, unless others here think that's worth a shot and not harmful.

I just put my patio umbrella over it to keep the direct hot sun off it for a few days, as I'm sure it isn't used to the heat - going from a nursery to an enclosed backyard of 90* + temps.

Our dirt here is clay, which is why this hardy plant was chosen as the corner shrub (plus it's beautiful). Please help me. I have almost no experience with plants, and usually they die in my care (inside the house) so I really need some sound advice based on experience.

Yesterday (day 2 after transplant from pot), it's dry and the leaves are starting to curl but it was still sort of perky.

Today (day 3 after transplant from pot) some leaves are dead, crumbling, no way to get them back. The whole plant is wilting and sad. On the far side they are only just now curling.

Please help me. Thank you so so so much.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations