SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sam89_gw

transplant shock please help

sam89
12 years ago

I just potted up a black bamboo from 5 gallon to 20 gallon redwood planter 10 days ago. I've been misting the plant daily. The black bamboo I bought in August had been falling leaves for 2 months in a shady spot. The plant is 6 feet tall and has a new shoot about 6" long. Because the pot was root-bound so I potted up to a redwood planter I made for myself.

1. The container moved from a shady spot to a sunny spot (2 hrs sunlight to 6 hrs).

2. The black bamboo has since lost 10% leaves. Most leaves are yellowish now.

3. The home made redwood planter holds a lot of water; I haven't watered for last 9 days and soil is still wet. I inserted a BBQ wood stick into soil to measure wetness. The wood stick showed the bottom of container is much wetter than the top.

4. This morning after a few shower, I checked ground soil and the container soil moisture level. Interestingly the ground dirt was moist and the container moisture level was higher.

What should I do now ? repot or move container to a shady spot. Remove dirt from container and drill more holes in the bottom. Right now I had a 1/2" hole in center and (2) 1/4 " on two corner.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting