SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angela_t

For fun, what us newbies have learned from this forum. :)

angela.t
11 years ago

So, I was just thinking how happy I am that I found this forum, especially since I just planted out my tomatoes yesterday. After reading more last night, I yet again learned a valuable fact that will affect me this growing year! ^_^ So, I thought it'd be fun for us newcomers(or even those of you who've learned more even though you've grown tomatoes before) to say what we've learned from this forum. Here's my list, in no particular order.

1.Watering tomatoes in peat pots by soaking them in a tray of water works wonderfully, and keeps them moist for at least a couple days indoors(though most the time I was raising my seedlings I watered via spray bottle, which took about 20 mins to do...lol Did this idea at the very end, which is when I found out it worked awesome and took SO much less time. Lesson learned.)

2.Even if you plant different tomato varieties close together, if they cross pollinate, it doesn't bother the tomatoes that year, just the seeds. If you plant a Marianna's Peace tomato, it'll give you true MP tomatoes, just the seeds that next year might be a newly created hybrid! ;) (Fact I learned last night!)

3.If you soak peat pots in water before planting, the pots come over easy peasy. -This ain't no joke! They just peeled right off, and yes, some of the roots slipped right through(someone had mentioned that would happen)! :)

4.On average, you can expect your tomato seedlings to be one inch tall for every week they are old. i.e- a five week old plant would be about five inches tall.

5.You can bury leggy tomato stems under ground and they'll develop more roots from it.

6.A blend of tomatoes tend to taste best in sauces.

7.You can pick tomatoes once they blush at the blossom end, and once ripe indoors they'll taste like they would even if you had left it on the plant. Actually, by what I've read, maybe even better as there can be more problems the longer you leave the tomato on the plant(bugs eat it, water the plant too much making the tomato taste watery, etc.)

8.Can't say every bit of this one, so every opinion about the different tomato varieties I've read. ;)

9.Purple/dark leaves can be the plant having trouble with phosphorus deficiency(whether not taking up b/c soil too cold or not enough in soil), what wind burn looks like, and quite a few other disease symptoms and fixes.

So yeah, this is the main info I've absorbed. I love how this forum's so dang active! I read this forum more than any other site. If I'm every bored I come check out this place. And at least this way I'm learning versus watching Youtube videos or something. Hahaha! ;) How 'bout ya'll? Anything you've learned that you'd like to share? :D

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville