SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelleyp125

Total Newbie SOS (long post - reposted from Herbs forum)

kelleyp125
13 years ago

So, I'll start by saying that it is dangerous to tell a newly-enthused gardener that she can have whatever plants she can fit in her car for $25 (end of season sale). I brought home many things yesterday to add to my flower bed and also came across some herbs I'd like to try growing. Now that I'm doing some research, I am feeling slightly apprehensive, and would like some input. Please help!

Here's my setup:

My vegetables are growing in a container garden. I currently have several tomatoes- some companion planted with basil and marigold and some aren't, a bell pepper companion planted with strawberries (??), and onions. I will be planting some new tomato plants today that have been growing wild in my neighbor's garden. My containers are plastic bins 24"x36"x8" with many holes drilled through the bottom for drainage. My garden gets full sun.

So yesterday I bought one plant each of spearmint, lemon verbena, thyme, and oregano. I knew already that spearmint is a notorious invader, so I know it has to be given its own planter. But in doing my research today, I am getting this mental picture that what I've got might be too much for me?

Here are some specific questions, but I welcome any and all help you can give - I don't want to kill anything!

I read online that oregano companions well with beans. How big does oregano get? Would it be too big to try and plant with beans? I want to plant beans in August after I decide that my two ailing tomato plants are really and truly beyond saving.

Lemon verbena is a shrub, so I read. I also read that you can plant it in a 9-12" pot? Does this compute?

If my post is so long and full of questions that your initial response would be, "STOP NOW, YOU'LL KILL EVERYTHING YOU TOUCH!", don't worry - I already feel that way!

Comments (4)