SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenrod

Still Learning From OK Gardening Forum

gardenrod
13 years ago

Ive been lurking on this site for about 5 years, but last years poor harvest and all the planting advice for this year makes me want to participate. Ive been an avid gardener all my life- learned a lot from my father (Tulsa), and grandfather (Alderson), went through the OSU Master Gardeners program back in 1998 (thanks Barry Fugate), and learned a lot through my hit-and-miss hands-on gardening.

The point of this posting is to acknowledge the fact that, whatever gardening background you may have, you can still receive a lot of good advice by learning from the posters on this site who have actual Oklahoma experience.

This years discussions on cold treatment seeding were an eye-opener for me.

*I have always used a heating seeding mat under my tomatoes (under fluorescent lighting) from the time I put the seeds into 6-packs and individual pots until I start exposing them to cooler weather outside. I grow nice plants, but have wondered why mine seem to be more spindly than those in nurseries that have been exposed to cooler seedling temperatures. Now I know why.

*I have always treated my pepper seeding the same as my tomato seeding, but now understand that early cooler temperatures for pepper seedlings may reduce the quality of the outdoor planting. I had observed from experience that my early pepper harvest was poor, but that I had abundant crops in the fall. Now I know why.

The discussions on tomato varieties have led me to revise my tomato choices. I grow about a dozen varieties, but have modified my choices as seasons go by. Ive had great luck with Delicious, Supersonic, Super Fantastic and Jelly Bean some years- BUT poor harvests in other years.

Based on the various top ten tomato varieties discussions, I have added Bush Goliath and Black Cherry to this years list:

.Black Cherry

.Sungold

.Sweet Million

.Supersweet 100

.Better Boy

.Big Beef

.Goliath

.Bush Goliath

.Bella Rosa

.Heinz 1439

.Celebrity

.Shumways Experimental Hybrid Variety Lot 11-F-A

( a freebie from ordering seeds from Shumways)

(I know- thats 12 varieties, but I always have to make room for freebies from seed companies).

Im trying to grow more determinate varieties this year due to the impending dry weather.

So- thanks for the advice, and good gardening luck for this years crops.

Z

Comments (9)