SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thedogsll

White mites and coffee grinds

thedogsLL
11 years ago

My worm factory 360 is, overall, doing well, but I have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to. After reading many posts, here and on other forums, about how much worms love used coffee grounds, I tried adding some to my bin. We drink most of one pot a day, using 4 coffee scoops for each pot. They sit all day in the filter, although I don't use a paper filter. I have one I empty and rinse out at night when I make coffee for the next morning. The worms did indeed love it, congregating under the grounds in huge numbers.

However, after about a week of adding one filter per day, I had a massive explosion of mites. There were so many that they were coming out of the air holes in the lid, so many that the top edges of the bin looked frosted. I turned the lid so it stayed open all day last Sunday, and by late afternoon the mites showed signs of drying up. At least, they were smaller and not "swimming" in damp. So during the daytime, for several days, I left the lid tilted so moisture could evaporate. Saturday (day before yesterday) I checked the worms, and I still have plenty squirming just about everywhere, so all is well again.

I know that my bin got too wet. My question is, is it better to let the UCG sit somewhere for however long it takes for them to dry out? I've never seen this addressed anywhere, but what I have seen is people who have access to a much larger quantity than what I was using and no mention of the bin getting too wet. What is the difference? When Dunkin or Starbucks gives UCG to someone, is it drier? I can't logically accept that dry coffee grounds would be attractive in any way to wigglers, so where is the compromise?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor