SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alley_gw

Is this safe to do?

alley
16 years ago

I'm sorry to keep asking dumb questions. I guess I'm not at my best in the mornings (not enough coffee yet).

I am thinking of getting some tulip and hyasinth (sp??) bulbs to plant out. Lowes has some already poking heads through and in pots ready to plant. Now I know that the cold will probably be ok for them as they are cooler weather things BUT I'm wanting to plant them in an old bird bath and possibly in a window box. These are quite a bit off the ground and so will have wind blowing around them. They are also on the north side of the house and get mostly shade. Would this be bad for the bulbs and roots as they are not somewhat protected by the ground heat? It is supposed to get really cold this weekend. Is it a bad idea to plant them now before it gets cold (would it get cold too soon for them after planting and watering them?) Should I wait until after this weekend until it warms up again (I may have to do that as I don't even have them yet and don't know when I can get back there to buy them).

Comments (4)