SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Frost cover successes and failures

I have been really busy repairing pipes and this evening I finally took a peek under my vegetable gardens frost cloth and it looks dismal under there. I am 30 miles west of Austin and it got to 11 degrees. Last year it got to the same degrees and I lost a bit but this year looks Awful under there. I think the wind blew it open in a few places. I will report back when more becomes clear. Did anyone out there have success.

Collard greens , Siberian, red russian and Italian dinosaur kale seem bitten but alive. Red sails lettuce is alive. Sow peas, fava beans, mitzuna, back choy, various oriental greens, Purple osaka mustard, oriental radish all gone. Beet greens gone but I am hoping they come back from the roots. Brocoli rabe was blasted. Everything was huge and producing like crazy. I had just harvested a perfect 10" cauliflower and had several heads of broccoli. The garden was serenely beautiful.

I peaked into the garden when it was getting dark so I could not see real well.

I thought I was Z 8b but the boundary goes right through my house. I can now say, I think I a 8a these last to years.

Did others have success ? Did you put water jugs inside or sprinkle with a sprinkler or put some xmas lights. I want to hear your cold spell vegetable garden story.

Comments (27)