SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlene_82

Sharing my winter sowing successes and failures this year

Hi everyone, I just want to share my successes and failures this year in hopes that others might find it informative. I was a first time winter sower this year, and I had about 55 containers total. We had the coldest February on record here in Cleveland, OH. Not sure if that had any effect on my seeds but I think it's worth noting. I used a variety of containers including: milk jugs, clear juice bottles, and large yogurt containers with clear lids among other random things. I used two kinds of potting mix: MG and some cheap generic brand. I would not use the generic brand again as it seemed associated with lower success both in terms of germination and the growing on health of the plants. I started sowing in early December and continued putting out containers through around mid March. Some of the last/latest seeds I put out were petunias, hollyhocks, and lavender. I did give up on any container that didn't sprout by late May, just because I have a small urban garden space and didn't want to be looking at the plastic containers anymore. Perhaps if I had been more patient I would have had more success. Okay, on to the results:

I had excellent success with:

Snapdragon, Columbine, Foxglove, Monarda (Bee balm), Nierembergia (purple robe cup flower), Nigella (love in a mist), Platycodon (balloon flower), Polemonium (Jacob's ladder), Petunia, and Lavender.

**Winter sowing will definitely be my method of choice for all of the above plants from now on**

I had medium success with the following:

Yarrow (1 of 2 containers sprouted - I think it liked the MG potting soil better than the generic brand), Hollyhocks (3 of 4 containers sprouted), Echinops ritro (Globe thistle - 1 of 2 sprouted), Lupine (2 seeds germinated but 1 faded and died. The other is still very small), Forget-me-not (2 of 3), and Sisyrinchium bellum (Mini blue eyed grass - 2 of 2, but they sure are tiny and sad looking).

I had zero success with:

Garlic chives, Moss verbena, Verbena on a stick, Heuchera (Coral bells), Liatris, Molucella laevis (Bells of Ireland), Nicandra physalodes (Shoo fly plant), Nicotiana, Thalictrum delavayi (Yunnan Meadow Rue), and Trachymene caerulea (Blue Lace Flower).

In conclusion, while I didn't have 100% success, I did end up with a couple dozen new plants and I am happy with my results. I will definitely be winter sowing again this year!

Comments (18)

Sponsored