SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkon_gw

Make a worm bag from an old backpack?

pkon
12 years ago

I've been thinking about how to get the benefits of a nice worm bag, without the cost. Of course there is the "build it yourself" route, which is fine, but thought I'd take it to the next level.

So the fancy worm bags say they are made of "backpack material." And I was thinking that one of the toughest sowing parts of a worm bag would be getting the hanging straps on there firmly enough. And then sowing a zipper on the top might be a bit tricky.

Well, a simple backpack has all of these things built in. And I can often find them at Goodwill for under $5, in fact I got one yesterday for $3.50.

So I'm thinking all I need to do is cut a hole in the bottom for drainage, do a bit of sewing to put on a string and close that hole up "drawstring" style on the bottom like the fancy bags, and I'm ready to hang it on the stand.

And then of course lots of damp bedding, just like a regular worm bag.

Anyone tried something like this with a backpack?

I have a few concerns going in:

* I wonder if it'll breathe enough because the inside of the backup has a water proof coating. I tried putting a bunch of water into the backpack (as is, haven't cut the hole yet), and it eventually leaked out of the seems, but the coated part of the fabric seems pretty water proof. Do you think this will matter?

* the back of the backpack has some padding built in, so that part will breath even less (unless I endeavor to remove that padding, which I could do with a bit of work.) any thoughts on how much that padding would impact breathability and general success of the bag?

If you have lots of experience with bags, or related contraptions, and have any thoughts or tips I'd much appreciate it.

thanks,

Paul

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations