SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
austin_molly

Austinites--need path-layer who won't hurt my live oak

austin_molly
15 years ago

I have a very large live oak about 2.5 feet from the front of my house, and it is right next to the porch. I love and hate this gorgeous tree in equal proportions! My guess is that it was planted around the time that the house was build (1943).

I had the tree's root crown excavated by a city-authorized arborist so that I could reside my house a few months ago (termites), and in the process removed the pavers of my front walk. The place where the pavers were is now exposed oak roots that should remain exposed, according to the arborist, who removed the soil that had built up over decades to a level of about 12 inches above the optimum level.

I need to hire someone to install a new front walk that will go around the tree. I am looking for a very experienced landscaper who can recommend materials, suggest the best way to regrade the trench that the arborist excavated around the tree, and who will understand and respect the importance of avoiding damage to the tree and impacts that might lead to oak wilt.

I appreciate any recommendations!

Comments (3)