SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clueless_in_socal

Help! Worms won't stay down in new compost bin

clueless_in_socal
16 years ago

I started my first worm compost bin this week. I received a pound of red wigglers four days ago, and put them in a 10-gallon Sterilite box (with holes drilled in the bottom and along the top edge) with moistened newspaper strips as bedding. The worms didn't want to stay down, so I put the box under a bright florescent light overnight with the lid off. The worms stayed in, and the next day, I rested the lid on the top without closing it fully, and then the next day I closed the lid completely, while still leaving the florescent light overhead. Everything seemed dandy this morning, so I turned the light off, and moved the box to the garage floor. Came back 8 hours later and disaster -- worms had crawled out of the box and were all over the garage floor! I picked the worms up and dumped them back into the box, which is again under the florescent light with the lid off.

Is this unusual? How long does it usually take for worms to get habituated? Is my light too bright for the worms? How long should I leave the light on? I have about six inches of moistened shredded newspaper, and I've fed the worms one cup of coffee grinds, plus about half cup of spinach. It doesn't look too wet to me. Please advise.

Comments (7)