SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
archgirl_gw

Fruit flies, wet worms, and green pods? (Newbie)

archgirl
16 years ago

Hi,

I started vermicomposting last August, with maybe 1/2 lb to 1/b red wigglers using a plastic tote container with drain holes, air holes (covered with no see-em mesh), that sits tilted in a larger plastic container. At first I was having serious trouble with fruit flies when I brought them into the basement from outside, so I would take the bucket back outside, give it a shake, add more dry shredded newspaper etc, and fed only when all the food had been eaten. The worms are now trying to escape all too often (from the top and the bottom holes), the fruit flies are still present, the contents of the container are getting pretty wet (so I increased my newspaper - didn't work), and the old newspaper is not being eaten. Worst yet, I just noticed a whole bunch of dispersed, funny little green pods (about the size of a small pea), and unless worms hatch from these things, I think I am in serious trouble. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it. I almost love these guys now, and feel bad if they are suffering. Do I need to harvest? Half the population? Get rid of the whole container system?

Thanks,

-Liz

Comments (7)