SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncjo_gw

Newbie Questions about ENC

ncjo
16 years ago

Just got me a # of ENC, with a plastic bin approx 12"H x 14"W x 22"L I think I have a pretty good bedding for them. How deep should I make the bedding & How much bedding should I cover the food.

For now the temp in the house is ok, may be outside in Spring & Fall and back inside in Summer.

My plans are to build 4 stackable bins approx 12"H x 20" x 20". Because I would like to use 2 nursary plant flats approx 2 3/4"H x 10" x 10". Does this seem OK?

My plans are to build these out of 1" rough cut wood for sides & 1/2" Ply for bottom boards. Everything I'm reading so far tells me to drill 1/4" holes for drainage and for these fellers to migrate upwards. Most everything I Have read has been for the much smaller Red Wigglers. Should I stick w/ 1/4" holes or go to 5/16" or a 3/8" hole?

Does a coat of hot paraffin seem a good method to protect wood for 4 or 5 years or is there a better alternative that would be safer for the worms & the environment?

It is my hope to have 100% pure casings & no worms in bottom bin by the time I add the 4th bin to the top with plenty of liquid in my drain pan. Does this seem doable or am I expecting too much?

Comments (7)