SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jinnylea

Newby Questions about new Citrus Plants

jinnylea
7 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have been a member of GW for many years, mostly a lurker, but, just recently started getting into citrus for container gardening. I did a lot of research on growing citrus, and I purchased a Dwarf Meijer Lemon and Dwarf Mexican Key Lime from Gurneys last spring. Both plants got through our winter well, lost a few leaves, but are currently doing well now that they are getting more sunshine and heat... I recently repotted them in the 5-1-1 gritty mix and they are out in my unheated GH. I have a lot more to learn and have been reading many posts here in the citrus forum..Etc..

I wanted to add more to my citrus collection and recently placed an order with Four Winds Growers on Monday 4/18/16. The shipment (UPS ground) arrived on Tuesday 4/26/16. I ordered 2 year plants: Nagami Kumquat, Satsuma Mandarin, Gold Nugget Mandarin, Bearss Seedless Lime and Cara Cara Sweet Orange. FWG packaged the plants really well and they were in good shape when they arrived. The soil was still moist in the pots, except the Nugami Kumquat had dried out a bit, and some of the leaves had fallen off when taken out of the package. Some of the leaves looked like they had been chewed and had pin holes and slightly larger holes like a pest had attacked them. I took them outside and inspected them, I did notice a few leaves were curled on a few of the plants, some looked like they had a deficiency..and then gave them a good shower with the hose. The next day I repotted 2 of the plants in 12 inch pots with the 1-1-1 gritty mix, and the others I potted up into 14 inch pots with the 4-1-1 gritty mix. They all have plenty of drainage holes and drain really well. I inspected them again, and I unfurled one of the Cara Cara leaves and it had some sort of web on the inside leaf. I took all of my citrus plants back out side and gave each of them another shower with the hose. I made sure to wipe down the leaves with the web. I have inspected the leaves with a magnifying glass in the light, and I see no pests. I took a few pictures so you can help me with some suggestions on what to do next for them. I live in the upper Midwest in zone 4b. I have a sunroom that my new plants are in currently, I put them in part shade..and as soon as the weather warms up a bit I will take them outside to acclimate until they can go in full sun. I welcome all suggestions, and I am sure I will stay in touch with more questions as they arise. Please be patient with me as I add a few more pictures. This is my first time adding photos..Thank you

Ginny

[URL=http://s149.photobucket.com/user/chicknclick/media/Mobile%20Uploads/76c44a7e-2864-4ca4-a05f-d986d40474d1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/chicknclick/Mobile%20Uploads/76c44a7e-2864-4ca4-a05f-d986d40474d1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Comments (12)