SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmylovesmango

Advice for a vigorous growing mango seeding; is this normal?

9 years ago

I'm looking for advice about how to care for a mango seedling. The majority of what I've found online applies to older grafted seedlings. This is a mango that I started from a seed just two months ago. I have three other seedlings from the same batch of mangoes and were planted at the same time, but none of the three are even as tall as the lowest set of leaves on this one. They're approximately the same height now that this one was just one week after being planted in soil. It took less than one week to propagate in a ziplock baggie, and I even damaged it's taproot when transplanting from the bag into soil.. but it still grows vigorously and strikingly symmetric. All three of the other seedlings have small wimpy leaves and grow asymmetric. Is this growth rate unusual or is this normal? Also, should I consider pruning off any of the leaves? It's so heavy that I have to secure it in order to keep it from falling over. It got so heavy and continued to lean until it almost rested on the side of the planter. Despite propping it back in place and tying down, it is still growing new shoots like crazy. Any advice about caring for this would be great. Or if you just have experience with a rapid grower I'd love to hear.

Comments (14)