SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Incredible Edibles: Around the World Round Robin

booberry85
14 years ago

Ever want to take a trip around the world? Visit exotic lands? Well now you can!

Give some seed varieties from around the world. You could give someone: Cherokee Trail of Tears beans, Cape Gooseberries (from Peru originally,) Chinese Red Noodle Beans, Ukrainian Heart Tomatoes, Roma Tomatoes, Bulgarian Carrot Peppers, watermelons (originally from Africa,) Cilantro, etc. It can be a person's world tour through seeds. The possibilities are endless! This will be a fun one to give your partner a recipe or two too!

Here's the Rules:

1. Sign ups will be until July 24th. Partners will be assigned on July 25.

2. Please have seeds sent to your partner by August 7th.

3. Please give your partner the equivalent of 5-6 full pack of seeds. More can be sent, if you and your partner agree to do so.

4. Seeds should be from 2008 or 2009. All seeds must be viable.

5. Please also send your partner a recipe or two that would use the edibles grown from the seeds you send.

Come on & join the fun!

Comments (55)

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stumbled on this site today. It's a kids website but it tells a little bit about the origins of some fruits & veggies. It's brief but interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Origins of fruits & veggies

• reyna1
    14 years ago

how many seeds are considered a "full pack" of seeds?

• Related Discussions

New Incredible Edibles Salad Seed Swap in Round Robin

Q

Comments (1)
    Thanks "julia42" for the information about the posting new incredible edibles seed swap.
    ...See More

2012 Incredible Edibles Swap Schedule

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Barb, Glad to know there's someone actually reading my posts, LOL! Usually for group swaps, we ask that the seeds be no older than 2 years. So you could send in seeds out of your garden that were harvested in '10, or '11. With commercial seeds, once we enter 2012, you are correct, it would be seeds purchased in '11 or '12. As far as sending whole packs, it depends a lot on the seed count. Some companies only send 20 - 25 seeds per pack, some send way more than that. The host sets the minimum seed count per packet, but it is usually 12 - 15 seeds, for things like peppers, or tomatoes. If you are dealing with tiny seeds, such as carrots, or onions, it would be more like 25 - 50, or some will say a "pinch". I've even seen some give measurements, such as a 1/4 teaspoon. As a host, I love the people that send in extra : ) Seriously, some folks will count every seed and send the bare minimum. If I have a couple of people interested in the same seed, then it's nice if I can divide the pack between them, and sometimes it's a seed that I'd like to try for myself, but I don't want to take away from the other participants in the swap, so if there is extra, I may pull out just two or three seeds for myself. If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask! Hope you will join us for a swap sometime! Bonnie
    ...See More

Incredible Edible - June Herbs and Edible Flowers Swap

Q

Comments (46)
    Becky, I know horehound was used to make cough drops. I used to have a recipe but lost it. I bet you could Google it. I remember it was basically a hard candy that used horehound tea as the liquid. It might also work to just drink the tea. I'm having trouble getting thyme to grow from seed too. The sprouts are sooooo tiny, and then something always seems to happen to them.
    ...See More

Incredible Edibles-September Round 2!

Q

Comments (80)
    Diane, I thank you so very much for being patient for this RR and hosting such a long swap. I am very sorry to those that have contributed to the contents of the box and were left with nothing in return. With no response I am left with nothing more to believe than it will not be heading to anyone else at this point. Until I hear something, this is all I am able to believe. Thank you to everyone who participated in this swap.
    ...See More
  • booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Generally, for medium size (like tomatoes) or larger size veggies (like winter squashes), a full pack is 25-30 seeds. For smaller seeds, 1/4 teaspoon of seeds is considered a full pack.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bump! There's still plenty of time to sign up!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all! There's still time to sign up. I stumbled on this this morning. It's about weird food from around the world (regarding fruits and veggies. Thought you might want to take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weird Vegetables from Around the World

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bump! There's still a few more days to sign up!

• bonechickchris
    14 years ago

So, when are we getting partners? just curious! Are their still only 3 of us :( I might have to go talk to someone,,,

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Christy,

Yes, there's the three of us! I'm letting sign ups go through Friday and will assign partners on Saturday.

So far we have:
    SunnyK/ Donna
    Bonechickchris / Christy
    Booberry85 / Becky

No pouting! The three of us are awesome and know a good thing when we sign up for it!
    :)

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

OH I WANT TO SIGN UP, but I can't! I have so much to get done before my next show, I'm going to be working in my sleep!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Toni,

How can you not sign up? It can be your stress reliever! I tried to give people enough time between sign up & delivery to find lots of fun things. If we made the delivery date the 14th instead of the 7th would that help? Would anyone be opposed to doing that?

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

That would work! I have two back to back shows...then three weeks off until a 17 day HUGE show, which will be my last for the season. I hate to ask anyone to change the dates for me, but I would be so appreciative if you did.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's fine with me, Toni. I'm not sure about Donna or Christy. I know Christy's out of town until tomorrow.

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

I dont mind , The 14th is fine by me....even later if need be : )

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One more day to sign up!

SunnyK/ Donna
    Bonechickchris / Christy
    Booberry85 / Becky
    Dirtdiggin / Toni

I picked my first Poona Khira cucumber today! Originally from India. DH will learn that cucumbers come in other colors than green!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Last day to sign up! Nancy is joining us too! She emailed me.

SunnyK/ Donna
    Bonechickchris / Christy
    Booberry85 / Becky
    Dirtdiggin / Toni
    luvgardening2 / Nancy

Don't be shy, come join the fun!

• deanriowa
    14 years ago

Sounds like a good time, sign me up.

Booberry85, My Poona Kheeras are blooming, and it shouldn't be long. My favorite cucumbers are the Poona Kheera and I recommend them to everyone.

Dean(DeanRIowa)

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad to have you join us, Dean!

SunnyK/ Donna
    Bonechickchris / Christy
    Booberry85 / Becky
    Dirtdiggin / Toni
    luvgardening2 / Nancy
    DeanRIowa / Dean

I'm glad to know that about the Poona Kheeras (I've slaughtered the spelling every time I've written about them!) This is my first year growing them.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good Morning Everyone!

Please remember the send by date was changed to the 14th of August. Also, please remember to send with a delivery confirmation. One last thing, please remember to post when you receive your package from your swap partner and tell us about some of the things you received!

Here are your partners:
    Bonechickchris / Christy & Luvgardening2 / Nancy
    SunnyK/ Donna & Dirtdiggin / Toni
    Booberry85 / Becky & DeanRIowa / Dean

Hope you enjoy your "Trip Around the World" through seeds! Happy gardening everyone!
    Becky

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Will email Donna shortly, but had to share....

Went out this AM to water the garden and noticed that one of my Dahlias is almost completely opened up, so I looked more closely at it and noticed some strange green coloring under the petals. I looked closer and found that almost every petal was host for a little garden friend. When I got my camera, they began to jump off, but I did manage to catch a few in the act of bedtime. Believe it or not, there were more than 10 of these little guys nestled under the petals as the two left are. You can see one escaping but two still have their noses just sticking out from under the petals. What a fun sight! We are inundated with these little guys this year!!!!

For some reason, our frogs are tiny this year. Yesterday, we had two crawl under the front door and come in the house to escape the heat. We're having some major hot temps for here and it is even worse due to our horrific humidity. But these little frogs are only about a half inch long.

Toni

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Toni,

That dahlia is gorgeous! I love dahlias. I had a baby hoppy toad hop across my foot today in the garden. I was happy to see him!

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

That is the most adorable little guy I have seen in a long time!! I wish my yard was a froggy/toady haven.

• luvgardening2
    14 years ago

My partner and I have been in contact.

Nancy

• deanriowa
    14 years ago

The pressure begins on what to give as my gifts. I am terrible at giving gifts.

Side Note: Frogs and toads I always have to hide in my garden as my wife is afraid of them. I think they are neat, but not her.

Dean

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Toni, I missed the teeny tiny froggy hiding in the flower until Donna noted it. It's too cute!

Dean, you need to reassure your wife that they're good because they eat bugs! I'm always happy to see them because it means my garden's ecosystem isn't out of whack.

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

if you look closely, there are three of them. One is trying to escape and there is a froggy nose to the left and right of him, hiding out. They are tucked under the petals with their noses poking out.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! It's like a frog search puzzle! They're cute!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all,

I seem to be having a few email troubles at home. I'll see if it's working at work. I'll be out of town for a few days. but will be back on Saturday.

Happy Gardening!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm back in town now. My email troubles seemed to be short lived! Hope everyone is having fun finding seeds for their partners.

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

Welcome Back :)

Glad your e-mail woes are over!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have my box packed and ready to go! I just need to get to a post office now. Easier said than done. I'll be working out of town the end of the week.

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Well, I received my mail order, but need to do a bit of research on origins. I'll be mailing shortly. I'm so excited for Donna to receive her package :)

I think it's so fun to see my partners excitement for what I've sent along to them...almost more so than receiving my package lol. Well, almost ;)

It may take a few more days...may not be in the mail until Monday, but I'll try for Thursday...cause I'll be out of town Fri-Sun for a show. But I'll post the DC when it's on the way :)

Toni

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

I have my package all ready to go....just have to get to the P.O. ... probably tomorrow....hopefully LOL.

:) Donna

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My package is on it's way. I'll be out of town for work again. So I won't be around from Wednesday through Friday. Having the work is good, but the traveling bogs me down.

Becky

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

Toni,
    The DC# for your package is:
    0308 1400 0000 0107 7591
    I hope there are at least a few seeds in the package that excite you :)

I know I get pretty excited with just about any seeds LOL....my daughter calls me "The Seed Hoarder"

Donna :)

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm back in town. I finished up my job a day early. It was a nifty place to be but I'm glad to be back home.

Just a reminder, those packages need to be in the mail by the end of next week.

Dean, I checked the tracking number and your package is in Iowa. It should be long now.

Happy Gardening everyone!

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Okay Donna, I have your package ready, I'll be sending today and I'll post the DC as soon as it's on the way.

I'm so excited! Exhausted, but excited lol.

Toni

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

Toni,
    did you get the package I sent?? I checked the DC# and it said it had reached its destination. I always worry until the seeds are safe in their new homes LOL!!

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Okay, here is the DC - 0103 8555 7497 4654 3820 I do hope you'll enjoy what I sent :)

Donna, I won't know until DH gets home with the mail around 4:30. I'm sure, if it has been marked as delivered, it's sitting in our mailroom on island, awaiting pickup :) So now I'm even more excited lol. I'll post when DH gets home.

Toni

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

YAYYYYYYYYY!!!! My package from Donna arrived!!!!!! WOW did she spoil me!! So do I post my loot? LOL

How did you know I didn't have ANY of those tomatoes? I have LOADS of tomato seeds and she sent a nice batch...I don't have any of them! WOOOHOOO more tomatoes to try!!!!!!! Can't wait to try them out!!!! And all the others too!!!! The Chocolate bar is currently being tested by DS and me lol. We'll give you the results upon completion lol. YUMMY DARK CHOCOLATE!!!!!

Thank you SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

I am so happy you liked your loot!! I am also glad that you like the chocolate....I love dark chocolate myself and I forget a lot of people dont love it like me, lol :-)

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Toni,

You're going to leave us in suspense??!!!! Please let know about some of those seeds your received.

Dean, I hope your package made it to your home! If not, please contact the PO with the tracking number. It should be a ~ 6" square brown box.

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Donna - Try a piece of dark chocolate with a good glass of red wine....YUMMY!!! I prefer dark chocolate and it's far better for you than other chocolate! YUMMY!!!! DH is a dark chocolate nut too lol. So you chose well for this family ;)

As for my loot lol.... I won't keep you in suspense any longer.....

As for the chocolate, it was a Ghirardelli Intense Dark Evening Dream chocolate bar...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Note the word WAS lol

Seeds....

Cilantro
    Cascabel Pepper
    Hungarian Hot Yellow wax pepper
    Piment d' Espelette Pepper
    Chiogga Beet
    Calabrese Broccoli
    Tomatillo - Mexico
    Wild Spanish Green Tomatillo
    Vittoria Eggplant
    Rotonda Bianca Eggplant
    Chinese Red Noodle Bean
    Rosemary
    Black Spanish Round Radish
    Adapazari Squash
    Edamame Gardebsoy
    Rucola Coltivata Greens
    Lattuga Corcarde Greens/lettuce
    Sweet Florence Fennel
    Sweet Spanish Onion
    Guajito Tomato
    Russian Lime Tomato
    Kalman's Hungarian Pink Tomato
    Jaune Negib Tomato

Can't wait to try them all out :)

Thanks so much Donna....

Toni

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

WooHooo....I got my goodies from Toni today!! It was like Christmas in August LOL!!

I LOVE the glass garden ornaments they are gorgeous! And the bandana is so cool!I had to control myself with the Chocolate Raspberry sticks....I was only going to try one and ended up eating almost half the box LOL!

And so many cool seeds too!!

Tomatoes:
    Black from Tula
    Green Moldovan
    Noire Charbonneuse
    Black Cuban
    Dr. Wyches Yellow
    Turkish Monastery
    Black Altai

Squash Spaghetti
    Carrots St.Valery
    Radish China White
    Beets Lutz Green Leaf
    Lettuce Romaine Verde d'Inverno
    Artichoke Violetta Chiogga
    Tomatillo Purple Coban

I love them all!! And so many things from my wish list, You really Spoiled me Toni! Thank you so very very much :)

Donna

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

YAY Donna!!! I'm so glad it arrived today! And I'm glad you enjoyed your loot lol. I'm so addicted to these swaps! They're such fun and getting to know others is awesome!

Well thanks for a wonderful swap...look forward to reading about everyone elses loot lol.

Have a wonderful weekend and I'll take a peak through the weekened...but won't be around much though...just long enough for a few winks and off again.

Toni

• deanriowa
    14 years ago

I have finally returned from my extended family trip and my package has been sent. Sorry about the delay BooBerry85, I sent you an email with tracking Number.

I want to thank Becky for her generosity. I was a bit worried when I did arrive home, as no package, but my neighbors rescued it from my porch, but not before getting 4" inches of rain, thus it was good Becky placed the seeds in a Ziplock, which left them nice and dry.

Here is the list of seeds I received:

• Bean - Maria Amazilitei's

• Bean - Missouri Pole

• Chicory - Italian Dandelion

• Cucumber - Japanese Long

• Flower - Nasturtium - Alaska Mixed Color

• Lettuce - Marvielle of Four Seasons

• Onion - Sweet Spanish Yellow Utah Jumbo

• Spinach - New Zealand

• Squash - Cucuzzi

• Swiss Chard - Rhubarb

• Tomato - Black Seaman

• Tomato - Oregon Spring

• Tomato - Paul Robeson

• Tomato - Sarnowski

thanks again,

Dean

• deanriowa
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention the nice recipes I was sent:

• Cucumber Garlic Yogurt Sauce(Dip)
    • African Peanut Stew
    • Bean Soup
    • Borscht

I am looking forward to trying them out, especially the Dip and Peanut Stew.

Dean

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dean, I'm so sorry about the rain! I hope it didn't damage anything else in the package. Glad the seeds were safe!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I received my seeds from Dean today. He wrote up beautiful descriptions of all the seeds. I'm having a great trip around the world. He also sent me some great recipes. Here's the recipes:
    Bavarian Potato Salad (German)
    Suya Kabobs (Nigerian)
    Iranian Chicken in Tomato Sauce
    Pepino Aqua Fresca (Mexico) - a refreshing summer drink made with cucumbers. It's 93 degrees today - the hottest day of the year. This sounds good!
    Pina Aqua Fresca (Mexico) - MMMmmmmm Pineapple drink!
    Chimichurri Sauce (Argentina)

I haven't eaten dinner yet. I can't tell you how good all of these sound!

Now for the seeds:
    Asparagus Beans (China)
    Blue coco Beans (France)
    Armenian Cucumbers (Armenia)
    Super Zagross Middle Eastern Cucumber (Iranian)
    Cyclanthera Pedata - Lady's Slippers (Andes)
    Cham-ae Melon (Korea)
    Alma Paprika (Hungary)
    Feher Ozon Paprika (Hungary)
    Cyklon Pepper (Polish)
    Chile de Arbol Pepper(Mexico)
    Munchener Bier Radish (Germany)
    Purple Plum Radish (France)
    Brandywine Sudduth Tomato(USA)
    Wapsipinicon Peach Tomato(USA)
    Italian Market Wonder Tomato (Italy)

Whew! Well, I'm tired from the trip. Thanks so much, Dean!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello everyone! Just checking in. Nancy and Christy are you two set? I've been having a busy week. I've been working like a dog. On top of that, I found out the hard way what Vertigo is. I went to the doctors and have some meds to stop the dizzy spells. The doctor seem to think that by my symptoms, I'M already well on my way to have my inner ear correct itself. Dizzy spells aren't as fun as they sound!

Hope all is well with everyone else.

Becky

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

Ack vertigo is terrible :( I hope you are feeling better!!