SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momisd

Earthtainer questions from neophyte: trellis and fertilizer

momisd
16 years ago

I just made my first EarthTainer yesterday. I want to send a huge thanks especially to Bingster & Raybo for being so generous with their experience & help. I have a few questions. FYI I am using Fafard Potting Mix i.e. NOT the Miracle Gro with fert already mixed in. My Tainers are 18 gal. with 2 plants per. My pond baskets are 9.75 square by 6" high but per Raybo's advice I have kept the cutout smaller.

1. I am growing mostly tomatoes but also a few other things so I bought the Espoma Plantone--would it make a huge difference to get Tomatone for the tomatoes instead?

2. Can someone help me on hydrated lime vs. "garden lime" vs. dolomitic lime; dolomite; and epsom salts? I just need to be able to move forward and PLANT these things and my confusion is paralyzing me.

3. I have strung up 7" square nylon netting between an old garden swing support (heavy-duty) that's already conveniently in a sunny spot. Can I put Tainers on either side of the trellis or is this folly? In most other pics I notice Tainers in single rows with netting directly above.

Comments (8)