SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Questions about fertilizing

I did post earlier in the season when we were constructing new raised beds. The beds are done and we are just finishing up the last trellis today. All the beds are planted and ready to go. During the construction of the beds, I had to hold my seedlings longer than usual for the beds to be ready and being distracted, the seedlings didn't get a lot of attention. I did purchase organic tomato starts from a nursery that grows organic. So that's where I'm at.

We purchased organic native soil that had been mixed with organic compost and a small amount of peat. They also amended the soil with organic fertilizers, like bloodmeal, worm castings etc. Some of the beds have this mix and some have the soil from my old vegetable beds. I did add Alfalfa Meal to the beds with my own soil, but nothing else yet.

So, I've given the plants a chance to settle in. The brassicas and lettuce seedlings were planted on May 3rd. In my own soil and have done pretty well and we're still eating daily Romaine, Bok Choy and Kale.

Beans, Cucumber, Dill, and Cilantro were all direct sown on June 1st. The pepper plants were added on June 2nd, and the Tomatoes didn't go in until June 7th.

I'm not concerned with the Brassica/Lettuces. They did okay, not perfect but okay. As soon as they come out, I'm planning to do a cover crop there.

The direct sown beans are just starting to climb and I had good germination with the cucumbers. The color looks pretty good on them and they are also growing in a bed that is all my own soil, that was not amended this year with anything beyond a little Alfalfa Meal.

Here is how the Kale looks--->

Comments (21)