SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillybells

Question about fertilizer and blooms

jillybells
10 years ago

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping some of you can help me understand more about fertilizing. This is my only 2nd year having a balcony garden so I'm not that experienced.
Are you supposed to use different fertilizer for flowering plants versus plants like coleus and elephant ears (west indian kale)? I have two different kinds, Miracle grow all purpose water soluable and I recently bought a different one by Schultz that has a higher middle number (also water soluable) as I read that its supposed to promote more blooms. I have a lot left but I'm thinking of switching to those slow release pebble ones like from osmocote or even Miracle Grow's, if its worth doing it now vs when I run out-which won't be for a while. I figure its a little less fool proof for fertilizing. I read the directions on the box but am unsure if I'm underfertilizing.

I just cant seem to get a whole lot of blooms, my impatiens (NG) do fine but my marigolds and pansies are barely producing blooms (I have them mixed together in a pot, could it be too packed?) I have a SW facing balcony so its not full sun. Maybe gets its good amount of direct light from 3 til 7.

Comments (17)