SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bart1_gw

Kiwi questions: trellis and vigor

bart1
16 years ago

I'm just about ready to plant my kiwis but I have a few questions that I need to have answered before they go in the ground.

The first question is about vigor and soil modification. I understand that hardy kiwis are very vigorus and need a lot of pruning to be kept under control. With that in mind, should I amend the soil with lots of (composted) manure and humus, or just leave the soil "as is". The soil I have is very well drained, but probably a little lite on organic matter. I planted my wine grapes in this soil over the last 2 years without adding anything in the way of compost and they are all doing great. So, should I just use the un-amended soil as is, or "rev it up" with some high quality soil additions now?

My second question is regarding the trellis. Most of the things I've read about kiwi trellises have show them grown over a "T" type trellis. Is this the only way to go, or the best way to go? Could I get away with just one vertical row of wires like I use on my grape vines? (For my grapes, I'm using the VSP, or Vertical Shoot Positioning, trellis method.....parallel horizontal wires starting about 3.5 feet off the ground)

The other thing that confused me about the "T" type of trellis is that it seems like you have 6 feet of kiwi trunk and then the vines spread over the trellis and the fruits hanging down. Could I just use the grape trellis (VSP) that I mentioned above and have a shorter trunk but just spread my vines over 4 horizontal wires (one on top of the other)?

Thanks, and if there are any other kiwi growing tips I need to know, please enlightnen me!!!

Bart

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH