SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucas_tx_gw

The dry creek bed ready for suggestions

lucas_tx_gw
11 years ago

So here are the parts I'm still thinking about how to finish. First, notice we have no front walk yet, the guy is very busy right now. So I guess we'll wait. Everyone drives around to the back to come in anyway, the walk is only for the UPS guy ;-)

Second, I can't plant right now anyway, so I'm just kind of thinking it over. The area currently under the plastic is being solarized, I'm not sure what's going where but that has a lot of Dallis grass and and bermuda in it so either way, whatever I can do to clean it up is good.

First two pics are from the right hand (west side) looking east up the hill. Notice there are two areas there to consider. At the end of the creek, there is some dirt. (Area W1) The creek ends in a drain that goes under the drive but you'll notice there is also black surface drain in that area as well. If we get a ton of rain, that area is likely to go over the driveway or form a small lake until the drain catches up. For that reason, I hesitate to mulch and plant it as I think mulch could end up everywhere and or clog up the drain.

Also notice the flat area between the creek and the berm, which is currently under the plastic. (Area W2) There is septic tank under there which has a pump in it that pumps to the aerobic system around back. So that area needs to remain accessible and it's pretty hard to grow much above the tanks, the soil it too shallow and dry. It's hard to visualie in the pictures but the bare dirt is in about a 6-12' tall berm.

These two are from the left (east) side looking down the hill (west). The first one is a funnel area where water coming down the hill from where I am standing is directed to the creek. (area E1) The second is the 'hell strip' between the house and/or sidewalk (when there is one) and the creek. (Area E2)

Here are my thoughts

E2- 100' long hell strip-kill everything in there, mulch and plant, I can extend the beds out from the house/porch and plant all that, provided I can figure out a way to keep the mulch from going down into the creek. For the lower 1/2 of it where it will be very narrow between the walk and the creek, I'm thinking maybe silver ponysfoot and/or Missouri primrose which could hang down into the creek and look nice (hopefully). There are some 'divots' we left in the end of the creek that we could also put some short ornamental grasses or something. One issue is this area could be somewhat wet in winter, I think I need to bring in some sand/shale compost mix to keep it from being too wet in the winter. It will be hot and dry in the summer.

I'm thinking in E1 maybe I could plant that with some ornamental grasses like switch grass that can take some moisture in the winter but still survive out there in summer.

At the otther end, for W1, I almost think I have to get that in a turf grass just to keep down erosion but not put mulch down the drain.

The remaining area W2 and the berm itself are the area of 'discussion' with DH. I'd like to mulch them and plant them in drought tolerant perennials. He wants to plant them in Habiturf and mow them.

Keeping in mind that my first preference is going to be for natives, I'd love to hear what everyone thinks.

Looking forward to suggestions!

Teri

Comments (13)