SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nss213

Older leaves yellowing and drying. Fungus or over-watering?

nss213
9 years ago

I have some heirloom beefsteak tomato plants that I grew from seeds planted in mid-February. I started them out indoors in a 6 pack, and then 6-inch pots. Now 3 of them are in a "city pickers grow box" which is about 2ft by 1.5ft with a bottom-self-watering and wicking system. They are in Miracle Gro potting mix and have been fertilized with a few tablespoons of organic 5-6-4 (or something) fertilizer. I did top up the box with an inch of Miracle Gro garden soil, but I don't think that should be an issue.

Also another one of these is in a tomato grow bag, also with a bottom-self-watering system.

I've been finding that ever since the 6-inch pot phase, on to today, the older/lower leaves of the plants turn yellow and brown and develop some spots. I've looked at pictures of blights and septoria and I can't say with any certainty that my plants match the pictures. I could also just be over-watering and should perhaps let the soil dry out a bit between waterings? I don't water from the top, only fill the reservoir and let the wicking happen on its own.

The tops of the plants all look green and lush.

I've gone ahead and trimmed off the ugly looking bits, but I've not tried much to remedy the issue. I haven't used any fungicide yet.

I have a second grow box with a newer set of the same variety (seeds planted March 25). These seem to be doing okay, but I'm seeing hints of the yellowing on the first real leaves while the second set of leaves look good.

I'm in the SF Bay Area, so the air is moist and the temperature is generally between 50-70 degrees. The plants get about 8 hours of direct sun a day.

gallery: http://imgur.com/a/HKDgI

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallery of yellowing and such

This post was edited by nss213 on Tue, May 13, 14 at 2:52

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting