SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Anole Ninjas

When I first noticed these guys they were literally locked in combat; the larger one having the smaller guy's chin wattle in his jaws. It looks like they drew blood. Here they face off before going at it again ...

So serious they pay no mind to the camera ...

I've never seen anoles with the head crest raised like this, but I've never seen them actually fighting before ...

Chasing through the leaves of manfreda macho macho ...

One seems to have retreated to lick his wounds and the other gloating ...

Both, of course, involved in their own drama as totally oblivious to Max, their former arch enemy, as he is to them. Too old now to chase anoles (thank goodness!) he now digs for grubs. Bob is helping ... ;-)

No, this is where the new tree will go. In the meantime, I reflect how we're all travelers on this marvelous big blue marble mostly unaware of the dramas of the fellow passengers only a few feet away ... :-)

Happy gardening!

Comments (18)

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Boy by looking at the large black spots, they are super
    p o-ed, lol
    Max and Bob grubbin', lol

• carrie751
    9 years ago

Yeah, wonder what their beef with each other was?? LOL> I have never seen them fighting either,
    What kind of a tree did you decide on???

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jolana, so that's what the big black spot is about! I wondered.

Carrie, according to the fact sheet linked below the two anoles came to blows over territory; a trait that seems to be part and parcel of the 'reptile' (primitive) part of the brain of many animals.

After all my questioning and seaching for 'something different' in a tree and not finding the ones that interested me, I went with the tried and true: Cedar Elm.

We planted one in the front yard when we moved here and have been very happy with it. It's native in our neighborhood, has no major health problems, strong limbs, long lived, medium growth rate, and very drought tolerant. It's a tall upright growing tree that can be limbed up, which I wanted so morning and afternoon sun could stream under it for the plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anole fact sheet ...

This post was edited by roselee on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 12:32

• carrie751
    9 years ago

I have a number of Cedar Elms on my property, and really do like them (well, except for the fact that they do multiply rather rapidly). I know you will enjoy it.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes Carrie, most of the trees I have do like to make seeds! If they don't plant themselves, the squirrels plant them. Oh well ...

On not finding the trees I've been asking about: I should make that past tense. Jolana has found them all at small town nurseries she knows about. But the die is cast, so to speak, on the cedar elm. Sure wish I had room for more trees!

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

I made sure I took pix or she would think I was pulling her leg, lol
    Like I would do that.
    Carrie, you have probably been to Bloomers in Elgin, it is even better than it used to be
    Maybe not, it is not on the route y'all go
    They are both awesome looking trees
    I wish our leach fields weren't in the back, I would get them, LOL

• bossjim1
    9 years ago

My anoles are fighting too!

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

HAHAHAHAHA, yes, Jim, they are *fighting* bless your heart, nobody ever had *the talk* with you
    Hopefully RC or Omar will email you with info, LOL
    No black spots there, !

Hey Jim how are your upright EE's
    Would love to see a pic. The ones you gave me got so big last year but this year are just starting to grow.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awww ... your anoles are lovers not fighters.

Yes, all my EEs are very slow to get going this year including the giant one you gave me. I was afraid they were dead for awile. The only one that doesn't seem to be coming back is the black one.

• bossjim1
    9 years ago

Not fighting? Oh.

My E.E.s are slow to start growing also. Maybe because I usually fertilize in March or Early April, but just did it this week.
    They look to be farther along than they are because the trunks are nearly 4 ft. tall.

Roselee, the Crested E.E. has pups this year, and I'll be glad to send you one if you have a place for it.

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Oh my, just wonderful, I know I have seen pix of them when larger but they look huge now!!! Thanks for posting the pix

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

Dang, Jim! Tsk, tsk, tsk......

Omar

• melvalena
    9 years ago

Imagine that!! Discrete sex talk on a gardening forum!! :). photos included.

• melvalena
    9 years ago

Imagine that! Discrete sex talk on a gardening forum!! :). photos included.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh I just it figured out. I'm so slow. Jim's anoles are merely involved in a wrestling match. The bright green one has penned the other down so it's the winner ... :-)

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

I am confused. English is my second language so now I am not sure what is the meaning of the verb to fight.....

Omar

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Here's the guys that I missed for so long!!!
    HAHAHAHA

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

As long as one talks allegorically, we can get away with all sorts of sins. LOL.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH