SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Ideas! Ideas! Ideas! S. A. Botanical Gardens

The wonderful thing about visiting botanical gardens is not only seeing how plants are doing that you've considered adding to your own garden, but the great ideas you get for plant combinations and landscaping.

One of the first things noticed upon entering the S. A. Botanical Garden was how beautiful pink and red Knockout roses look planted together ....

{{gwi:271476}}

Before our trek we fortified ourselves with a great lunch at the on grounds restaurant. The food is EXCELLENT, reasonable priced, and wonderfully presented. Highly recommended! Lee, Linda, and Charlie under the tent in the outdoor dining area ...

Idea: place pots of colorful Bromiliads in trees!

We were excited about this new grey leaved variety of salvia -- until we realized that it was an upright variety of what looked like artemisia infiltrated with salvia. What a great combination! Does anyone know what the grey leaved plant is?

There were many ideas of what to plant in pots. Especially attractive were staggered sizes of the same style pots planted with colorful shade accepting plants ...

Ah -- ruby grass -- a new plant for me passed along by Tammy. It was wonderful seeing what a mature specimen looks like with its sparkling ruby fronds gently moving in the breeze ...

In this overview of the rose garden it seems that they have stopped planting many varieties of roses, but instead have concentrated on a few that do especially well in our climate ...

Because of the drought the streams in the Japanese garden were dry as were other water features on the grounds, but with the smooth river stones on the bottom and the white calcium deposits on the big rocks it still looked great. Perhaps our ponds would look almost as nice with a dry creek bed look ...

A beautiful cottage style landscape with lots of ideas for plant combos and placement ...

Groups of ducks played in the large pond in the center of the area representing several areas of Texas' diverse growing conditions ...

This treatment of Star jasmine was stunning! What a great idea of how to grow it -- on an arch! It would take a little pruning, but would look great all year round ...

Of course I was interested in the desert plants since my yard got less rain than the Mojave Desert last year. Here are soap aloes and Penstemon Harvartii combining nicely with similar colors but different forms ...

This is a strawberry pot with various dry landscape succulet plants. I'm definitely going to do this IF I can ever get the lirope out of my stawberry pot ...

I love how they show cactus, agaves and yuccas encorporated into the landscape which adds an architectual air. During winter when the flowers are not blooming the graceful plant forms of the yuccas remain to entertain ...

This small hippy plant with huge flowers is growing in the desert conservatory It reminded me of a sculpture seen at the San Antonio Art Museum ...

I loved the toss of the hairy head of this cactus ...

Speaking of sculpture these life size 'tree men' (my name) added a mystical quality to the grove of trees around the pond. They seem to reflect the timeless, accepting all that comes, quality of trees as they stand firmly rooted with their consciousness turned only toward purifying the air of Mother Earth and providing a haven and food for the thousands of insects, birds, and animals that make trees their home. The sculptures will remain until the middle of June this year ...

They remained focused their their jobs and were totally uninterested in the smile I offered. The one in the background was equally unimpressed. Actually I feel the trees in our yards are a little friendlier toward us humans ...

After four hours of trekking the 33 acres of garden -- water never tasted so good!

I hope you enjoyed this drop in the bucket of what's at the San Antonio Botanical Gardens and got some ideas to use in your own yards.

Happy gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: San Antonio Botanical Gardens

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH