SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

A couple of new plants bloom ...

I bought this little tree at Schumachers a couple of years ago because I was intrigued by the idea of a tree with ferny compound leaves that is evergreen. I had forgotten the name of it, but with the blooms to go by I'm pretty sure it is a Teneza (Pithecellobium pallens) also called 'Ape's earring' for some unknown reason.

It's a fast growing, graceful little tree and the flowers are very fragrant ...

Right under the lens of the camera a little honey bee flew in and oblivious to everything else started working the fluffy balls.

I like how the picture captured her pose with the outline of her legs, but alas, her wings are showing signs of her hard work ...

Another first bloom in the yard is on the Aztec lily orient red (Sprekelia formosissima) given to me by a friend.

Scott Ogden says it ranges across Mexico and blooms spring and fall. The orchid like flowers seem very large for the small amount of foliage ...

An Austin rose you don't hear much about is Lillian Austin. It flushes several times a year and the blooms are so large they remind me of the crape paper flowers used to decorate during fiesta week.

A spreading rather than tall rose, it flushes several times a year, has a tea rose fragrance, and the foliage is very healthy ...

You may have noticed the tiny wild bee on a petal above. He worked the center of the rose for about 10 minutes.

All for now ...thanks for looking!

Comments (11)