SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Only the bare bones so far ...

In late fall I decided to revamp my yard in anticipation of growing more roses. I lost a lot of roses during the summer drought of '08 when my knee was bad and I couldn't get outside enough to notice they were slowly dying from not getting enough water after spring chemical fertilization.

Other than in a couple of raised beds roses have always grown better for me in large containers. So first Bob helped me move the wooden planters that had held some fairly ordinary plants and I refilled them with good soil so I could grow that which I REALLY love -- roses.

Then I painted some of the pots to match and rearranged them around the tower, which now will support a climbing rose, Nehema.

In the process practically every plant I have got moved and replanted with fresh soil, and every pot got fresh soil which I mixed using MiracleGro bagged potting soil, a treasure of 'black gold' compost discovered at the bottom of my 5 year old pile, manure, peat moss, pearlite, water holding crystals, etc. etc. Even the other plants that I was keeping in pots, such as three varieties of phlox, have fresh soil.

All the containers you see have new rose plants in them, including some Austin roses on fortuniana roots.

In the center bed I've planted several 'new' antique tea roses and a four varieties of Knock Out roses. The plant stands will hold the bougainvilleas when they come out of the green house.

I can't begin to tell you how much work it was, but the idea of doing it while it was cool kept me going as well as visions of lots of roses blooming in my garden once again.

But somehow during all this I managed to misplace a whole big bucket of amaryllis bulbs! Oh well, they will be peeking out from somewhere with spring weather.

So here's my 'before' pictures. Hopefully, there will be some prettier 'after' photos as well.

I would love to see 'before pictures' of your gardens, even if you haven't made the changes I have. It's good to take pictures to appreciate the difference a couple of months can make, don't you think?

Comments (22)