SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dr_scifi

potting a mango tree(help novice)

dr_scifi
15 years ago

Okay, so I have planted all my trees except for 1. I read and seen many pics of people in this forum growing their trees in a pot. Ok, so I have several large pots in the back yard as the previous owner was a really into plants. Now, I wanted to grow my Madame Francis in a Pot instead of planting. I also plan to have other fruits grow in the available pots... They seem pretty large. I also like the idea of bringing the plant indoors during hurricanes or really bad weather. Please tell me if I am doing this right. I have a large cement pot with a small hole in the bottom. I took my plant out of the tree gallon and all out its existing pot soil attached shaped like the pot and placed it over 3 inches of dirt. Later, placed a fresh back of soil/dirt and cover it. Check out the pictures.

I also put some citrus fruit fertilizer on top and also placed mulch and watered the plant. The soil did seem moist.

1.) Did I do it correct?

2.) Does the tree grow faster or slower on a pot?

3.) Will it bare fruit just like a regular planted tree on the same time table?

4.) How big can it get?

5.) Anything I can do to accelerate the grow?

6.) The tree had some dead flowers which meant it bloomed before, does that mean it will make mangoes next year?

7.) Can I also do this for avocados? Am I using the correct soil? I did notice the soil from the pot from nursery had many small white circle objects.

Please help.

http://flickr.com/photos/24444471@N03/

Here is a link that might be useful: Madame Francis in Pot

Comments (2)