SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_weed

Tomato and Pepper Tips

texas_weed
13 years ago

I have been an avid tomato and pepper enthusiast since I was about 5 or 6 years of age when my Father turned me on to the craft. I have a few tips I would like to share with you.

1. First step is getting good rich in Humus and balanced nutrients. Prepare the soil by working in lots (4 to 6 inches) of Mushroom compost.

2. Plant in a location where the plants receive a minimum of 6 hours of direct sun light with 8 hour preferable. If you can find a location that gives them some shade after 4:00or 5:00 pm your plants will appreciate it and reward you.

3. In every planting hole I recommend 1-pound of well-aged and rotted animal manure compost, and 1 Tablespoon of Epson Salts. If you do not have access to quality manure compost, no problem I have a secret recipe a very dear friend of mine came up with. His name is Darrel Merrill from Tulsa OK aka The Tomato Man (RIP Darrel). In each hole add 1 Tablespoon of blood meal (nitrogen), 1/2 cup of bone meal (phosphorous) , 1/2 cup of green sand, 1 Tablespoon Epson Salt, 1 whole banana with peel (potassium), and 2 crushed calcium tablets to prevent blossom-end rot. That is it for fertilizing for the season. Do not add any more.

4. Give the plants plenty of room to breathe. 3 foot spacing minimum, 4 foot preferable. This will aid greatly in preventing fungal problems.

5. Bury the plant half way up the stem (does not apply to peppers). You can snip off the branches below grade if you want, but I never do. Roots will grow off all buried parts of the plants (stems and branches). The main stem will set roots in the mulch and that is a good thing.

6. Water when the hole is half full of soil, and again when full of soil. DO NOT let the plant lay on wet soil, or splash water upon the leaves while planting.

7. Mulch lightly after planting to prevent soil being splashed onto the plant from watering or rain. As plants grow, keep adding mulch layers to about 1-foot.

8. This is a MEGA tip about mulch. Use Alfalfa hay as mulch. If not Alfalfa hay, then just use local prairie hay. DO NOT USE wood mulches because the soil can become too hot and acidic using some wood mulches like cedar and cypress. Not to mention wood mulches can float away. Stay away from plastic films.

9. Water properly. Plants need even moisture levels for fruit to develop properly, prevent cracking and blossom end rot. A soaker hose is best ran underneath the mulch with 1/gph emitters at each plant base. Water deeply once or twice a week. If you have to use overhead water, do so early in the morning to give the plant surfaces plenty of time to dry before sunset.

10. Do not get in a hurry to plant, my rule is wait two weeks after your area's average last frost date. Waiting will not delay fruit harvest. Just keep them in a bright window until you are certain no more frost will occur.

11. I do not recommend pruning unless you live in the north with short growing season. I only prune the plants late in the season (30 days before first frost in mid-November) by cutting the main stem just below the last set of flowers/fruit. This signals the plant to concentrate all it energy in developing the remaining fruit before it freezes. Yankees you can prune by pinching off the suckers so as to aid in setting fruit early.

Comments (25)