SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lycheeluva

The fruits of this weekend's chinatown excursion

lycheeluva
15 years ago

Notice the brilliant pun in the title. I found jakfruit in china town. a seller had about two thirds of a jakfruit cut into two pieces. The smaller piece weighed about 8 pounds. I had him cut the smaller piece in half. He was charging $4 a pound. I had to try some as I have never tried jakfruit before. He claimed it was fresh and not previously frozen but im not sure he was telling the truth. The seller said it was imported from Jamaica. The segments tasted exactly like juicy fruit gum and even had a very similar consistency. The segments were pretty dry though. I was expecting them to be juicy? Are jackfruit pretty dry? or did i just taste a bad sample or a previously frozen sample. all in all it was not bad at all but i wouldnt buy it again. I will definitly try and buy some jackfruit in miami to see if the fresher fruit is better.

I also got to taste a jambu for the first time. tasted like a really bland asian pear- and in my opinion asian pears are very bland to start off with. definitly wont be buying jambu again.

needless to say, i ended the excursion off with a stop at my favorite lychee seller and bought 12 punds! (in fairness, 3 were for my brother).

this time, i managed to spy the lychee boxes- they did not specify the variety but they did provide the name of the grower- Hendrix farms in Homestead, FL (see web link at bottom of post after pics). I took down the phone number just in case (just in case what? im not really sure). The lychee seller promised to get some mangosteen for me this week- she said she could get some at $9 a pound. Done done and done. I gave her my number- we'll see if she comes good.

Lychee season is clearly at its peak now as every second person in china town had a little lychee stall

Here is a link that might be useful: list of florida tropical fruit suppliers

Comments (12)