SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Not really a Garden Secret but....

18 years ago

After reading JIM's post about his gardening secrets I thought this little tip may come in useful to some of you. I use a lot of tomato cages in my garden but not for tomatoes. Here are just a few of the uses that I have found for the old rusty cages that I have collected over the past couple of years.

1. Use as a base for a plant saucer bird bath: Tines go into the ground for stability and then place a large saucer in the top ring. Mine are 12 inches in diameter so i set a 12 inch saucer inside the ring. The lip of the saucer holds it securely. I can plant beneath the cage and all around it not losing any growing space.

2. Plant stands: I can put additional hanging baskets in the top ring of the tomato cages and place them in and around inground plants to add height to the bed.

3. Topiary frame for a container grown vine such as manettia. again the tines go into the soil and then the runners are started up the cage. I also added some crossed wire at the top of the cage to create a dome shape. For a large vine you could put two cages together top ring to top ring. I should have done that with mine but didn't think it would get this big.

4 A stand for a gazing ball. Invert the cage so that the top ring forms the base. I bent the tines into scrolls and rested my bowling ball gazing ball in the center.

I do spray paint all my tomato cages black to go with the scheme of things. BTW, all my cages were curb side rescues.

Penny

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations