SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
martha256

Shrub ID

martha256
14 years ago

I need help IDing a perrenial shrub. Its about 5' tall, multi stemmed, woody, dies back in winter, produces no growth on old wood. Produces a red tubular bloom from early summer to fall. The bloom color is much like the pinnapple sage bloom. Leaf is 3 lobed, medium to light green. Seed pod is donut shaped, starts red & eventually turns black. Hummers love the nectar & their beaks seem to fit the small opening perfectly. I've googled "Hummingbird Shrub" & the plant that most closely resembles it is hamelia patens diciptera, also called Hummingbird Shrub. The characteristic lacking most is that the mystery shrub leaf is 3 lobed.

I'm unsure that I have posted in the correct forum, but chose Tropicals because the hpd was referenced as a tropical. Our mild winters (Alabama) often allows some tropicals to suvive with little to no protection. The mystery shrub is in a sheltered location & was in place when the property was purchased. Inquiries with the seller yeilded no answer. Native locals have also been asked & none have been able to help.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES