SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Our Grandmother's Gardens

17 years ago

Thinking about bulbs for Texas reminded me of the old gardens that my grandmother loved.

She lived in an old house (even 50 years ago it was old!)

It was so old that running water was an add-on,

& I my own self remember the summer the uncles all got together & added the bathroom!

So my grandmother was very careful with water.

Not one drop was wasted.

But they did have to have water, for the cow, the chickens, the vegetables, for cleaning, washing, bathing, & they hauled every drop except for what they caught in the rain barrel.

Let water go down the drain???

Waste to the point of sinfulness!

She washed dishes in a dishpan in the sink & rinsed them in a second pan of clean water.

When the dishes were finished, she took the pans of water outside & watered plants or chickens, whichever was driest.

The rain barrel water was most carefully conserved, since it was the best drinking water & the best for washing hair.

Her vegetable garden got priority for water, of course, since people just didn't go to the store in those days.

You grew almost everything you ate.

But she did love flower gardens, & she always tried to keep something blooming.

Every summer, she had an old enamel dishpan full of protulaca (moss rose).

She had paperwhites, jonquils, Pride of Barbados, old-fashioned pink & yellow lantana, tall bearded iris, & a prized Seven Sisters rose.

not a big garden, not a whole bunch of stuff, but people didn't have time or resources to support a bunch of stuff, & she enjoyed all of it as it bloomed.

Today, when I see an old home with an established perennial garden with things like nandina, jonquils, iris, carefree old roses, I always think, "A Grandmother's Garden"!

Our grandmothers knew how to get the most bang for their gardening buck, & they didn't even have Neil, or Howard, or Allen Smith!

What does "Grandmother's Garden" mean for you?

Comments (26)